Discuss Building Maintenance Company or Dedicated Fire Alarm Company..? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

tazz

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
This is old Haes panel, installed in a council special needs learning centre, and maintained by a blue chip all building maintenance company. For the past 3 years they have serviced it every quarter, and given it a full bill of health certification.
On working on a building extension, we checked the existing system, only to find numerous faults.
The batteries were dead & dry, the bell circuits were disconnected, and rewired on a unmonitored relay as in photo, using 4 core cable. The system had random smoke detectors in classrooms, but non in corridor areas, meeting no category what so ever.

Conclusion we refused to connect into the existing panel, and fitted a temporary panel until advised.
Council engineers agree we our findings and request complete new system to meet L1. Investigation and questions now being ask, how was this passed on 3 years of maintenance...? Are theses companies upto the job..?

2015-04-25 09.02.55.jpg2015-04-25 09.03.19.jpg2015-04-28 13.20.59.jpg
before notice relay....temp panel.....and final new system

Last edited:
The installation of that supplementary relay in the top of the first photo is world class ;)

Its a classic Andy....they removed the 2 sounder circuits, and connected them to the relay, so the were unmonitored and the silence button or evacuation button didn`t operate.

Last edited:
Hi Tazz,

It is a very interesting post and to see that the 'paper work' is right but he installation is not and as you described this as a special needs establishment it does ask questions.
Surely someone must have checked to see that this was ok ad what happened to the routine test of the panel by the staff?

I was under the impression that these places had responsible people and were regulated.

At least you are now getting it sorted.

Best wishes,

Rex

Hi Tazz,

It is a very interesting post and to see that the 'paper work' is right but he installation is not and as you described this as a special needs establishment it does ask questions.
Surely someone must have checked to see that this was ok ad what happened to the routine test of the panel by the staff?

I was under the impression that these places had responsible people and were regulated.

The Local Council does have a responsibility, and as such employ this type of Maintenance company to carry out periodic tests and ensure all is installed to standard. And this is were things seem to be going wrong.....the same company look after electrics, plumbing, painting, carpenter issues, emergency lights and fire alarm and general repairs. So not specializing in one area, but all.
Staff such as caretakers are trained to test the system, but you can not expect them to know the ins and outs of the BS5839.
So question is should these companies conduct such tests without being accredited..?

Its worrying how often we see this sort of thing. We have just taken a contract from a company looking after a particular councils social housing. Again, all paperwork signed off as all ok yet as soon as you open the panel door or start walking around, its a complete mess.
On a side note, looks like a nice tidy install of that DXc. They are miles better than the old ZX rubbish!

Reply to Building Maintenance Company or Dedicated Fire Alarm Company..? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net