Discuss 'C' course, regrade to electrical technician help. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Smudge

Hi all,

I’m currently working as an approved electrician at a factory. I am looking to eventually re-grade to electrical technician with help and sponsorship from my employer. To do this, I believe I am required to have gained the City & Guilds of London Institute Electrical Installation Work Course ‘C’ (or approved equivalent). Does anyone know any of the approved equivalents?? There doesnt seem to be any learning centers locally (edinburgh) that do this course on a part time basis, and finding answers is proving difficult! Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i think the closest you could get now would be the new 2396, design and verification. That would satisfy the JIB, along with an employers reference to get you a technicians status. In the longer term would an electrical engineering course such as ONC/HNC be better for your career as a factory spark?

thanks. My boss is the old technician, who has now been promoted above the electrical department. I am currently 'acting' technician as i was the supervisor previously. To be honest, it would be whatever was required to achieve the grading, and then hopefully the educational side would be on going, as it was for him. The obvious problem being the time off required to do this. Looks like i will be using a combination of holidays and overtime hours to cover the time off. Its not ideal, but i'm more than willig to do it as it would be such a massive step in my career.

ive just completed the theory part of 2391-2 (the old version of the 2396), and just have the project left to finish. I took a week off work, and did it in one hit. I revised lots before taking the course, using information from the forum. When i attended the course, i found it quite easy because of the revision. Im finding the project a challenge though, at the mo im trying to teach myself lighting calculations!

Last edited:
As John said, C&G 2391-20 is the current option, soon to be replaced by the C&G 2396.

They can also be done as an evening session course, 1 day per week for 12 weeks with additional sessions for the practical & theory exams.

Smudge, if your current employer is requiring you to attain Technician Electrician status then they should be paying for the course and your time off work at full wages.
If on the other hand, you are wanting to attain it, then you will have to cover all costs yourself.
However, if you have payed for the course work and lost wages to gain this grading and your employer now wants to use you as a Technician Electrician, then I would be asking that they remunerate you for your costs of loss of wages and course fees and also that they now pay you at the SJIB industry standard rate of pay for a Technician Electrician!
I know this sounds a bit heavy handed but look at it like this....You are an Approved Electrician at present and your also getting paid as an "acting Technician", so is it worth all the hassle and loss of earnings and course fees when all you'll be doing is subsidizing the companies training program saving them any costs!
If they need you to be a Graded Technician Electrician then it's only fair that they pay for your training and time off as is required under the SJIB rules.
Another point, they may not be in the SJIB so they have no right to asking you to attain the industry standards for a Technician Electrician unless they are willing to play the game.

I did the old C cert a very long time ago. I think it was wrongly done away with and after a bit replaces with the 2400????. This then being replaced with the 2391-20 and now soon to be the 2396.

For a while now I now tried to get some course notes to see what the difference maybe not sure if I now need to done the latest version. I know C&G say you should not do an exam if you already have the qualification

Any views or help

I did the old C cert a very long time ago. I think it was wrongly done away with and after a bit replaces with the 2400????. This then being replaced with the 2391-20 and now soon to be the 2396.

For a while now I now tried to get some course notes to see what the difference maybe not sure if I now need to done the latest version. I know C&G say you should not do an exam if you already have the qualification

Any views or help

I have both the 'C' course & the 2400.

The 'C' course which was part of my 2360 apprenticeship, was a lot more involved than the 2400. Only reason I did the 2400 was because the boss (at the time) was paying.

IMO if you have the 'C' course, there is little point in doing the 2391-20/2396.

'C' course content......

1 regulations
2 special installations
3 hazardous areas
4 agricultral and horticultral installations
5 low temperature installations corrosive environments
6 fire alarms to bs 5839
7 standby supplies
8 dististributuion systems
9 metering
10 Earth leakage
11 lightning protection
12 plant systyems
13 lighting systems
14 heating systems
15inspection and testing
16 estimating

Electrical Science

1. electromagnetic theroy
2. electrostatic theory
3 circuit theory
4 dc machines
5 transformers
6 ac machines
7 sysnchronus machines
8 motor starting and controls
9 measurements
10 ac distribution
11 electronics

Last edited by a moderator:
as mac says,the company should pay for it or you pay and claim it back,any courses ive been on have been paid for by the company,a couple have been half/half regards time off, if its a 4 hour lesson over say 8 weeks eg 3-7pm we finished at 2.30, 2.5 hours of their time and 2 hours of your time which is fair enough for short courses

wow, thanks all, big help. It is not required of me to get my card, i have asked for help, and my boss is paying for the costs of the courses etc. Its the time off that is the issue as i don't want to do any of it distant learning etc. I'll have a phone round local colleges when i get back in the office and find out what my options are.

hey, thanks for all the replies. I contacted SELECT, and they suggested that i do their course, SQA Tailored Award in the Design & Verification of Electrical Installations BS7671: 2008 (IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition). Has anyone done this course?? Since they are partnered with SJIB, the governing body that will ultimately award my card, they can't be too bad??

hey, thanks for all the replies. I contacted SELECT, and they suggested that i do their course, SQA Tailored Award in the Design & Verification of Electrical Installations BS7671: 2008 (IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition). Has anyone done this course?? Since they are the governing body that will ultimately award my card, they can't be too bad??

Would this be similar to the NAPIT NA2391 Inspection & Testing which is not reconised by anyone except themselves?

Can I ask what level your current qualifications are at? Also what is your age and how long have you worked in the factory environment? I could be wrong but, another option, if you have gained a lot of technician experience (you did say you were/are a supervisor) would be to look at the IET route and gain EngTech. (I think!) This maps across to the JIB/ECS gradings and also has the potential to map across to the NVQ/QCF structure within the C&Gs structures eg licientiship. Its worth investigating if you do not want to go back to college and you think you have the neccesary skill knowledge elements to satisfy the iet . Im sure somebody on here can point you to the required iet pages.

Cheers Lenny. Great show last night!!!!!!!! But it is an option. Lots of people who are not better qualified do not want to study so demonstrate competence. It then leads to understanding the so called 5 day wonder sentiment.Whether I agree with it or not. Its just at a higher level of competence to the domestic installer. But it sounds or seems that you have this level of competence.

Anyway good luck

i have only been working on the industrial side for approx 4 years. After the second year, my boss (then the technician), got promoted, and as i didn't, and still don't, have the proper qualifications, i was put as electrical supervisor(instead of technician). I have been groomed into a role of primarily looking after and updating the process SCADA, and assist my boss in the PLC programming as well as doing a lot instrument work. This is of course ontop of the day to day maintenance work of the plant (i have a few sparks i look after, that to be honest are more than capable of the jobs i give). I am under no illusion that i am not fully prepared to be a technician yet, but i am keen to to learn and progress. The technician position at work is now lying for me, my card being the only hold up.
The only qualifications i have are my apprenticeship, and gaining my approved status. I turn the big 30 this year so time to make it or break it on the career front. Either that, or i like the idea of juggling. i could always join the circus.

hi guys i did the C couse (passed with distinctions lol) some time ago whist doing my apprentiship i let my SJIB card laps and went to get my grading card with Technican and the SJIB contacted me saying i could only get techican grading if i did the SELECT course - SQA Tailored Award in the Design & Verification of Electrical Installations BS7671: 2008 (IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition) or equivelent.

i phoned them and asked they if i had just wasted my time for two years doing the C course and if i not bothereed doiung the course and had just done there three day course instead ?, would be able to obtain the techinan grade - the woman reply was no you would still have needed to complete the C course but up date with the SVQ Design & Verification of Electrical Installations BS7671: 2008 (IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition) or equivelent.

i have not had time to do this as so busy therfore just an approved electrican with Ex comp, C&C 2391, C&G 17th edtion etc

not sure if my ramblings help with the question asked at the start

regards

Reply to 'C' course, regrade to electrical technician help. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net