Discuss Cable for connecting induction hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The manufacturers instructions for an induction hob I will be fitting in the new year are telling me to use either H03V2V2-F or H05BB-F (basically 90degree PVC or rubber flex) for the connection.

These are difficult to get hold of in the couple of meters of 4mm that I need, and I'm struggling to see why they might be necessary anyway, induction hobs are specific as to where they output heat. I'm considering connecting it using good old twin and earth.

Can anyone offer any compelling argument against the use of twin and earth in this instance please?

The manufacturers instructions for an induction hob I will be fitting in the new year are telling me to use either H03V2V2-F or H05BB-F (basically 90degree PVC or rubber flex) for the connection.

These are difficult to get hold of in the couple of meters of 4mm that I need, and I'm struggling to see why they might be necessary anyway, induction hobs are specific as to where they output heat. I'm considering connecting it using good old twin and earth.

Can anyone offer any compelling argument against the use of twin and earth in this instance please?

Yeah T&E is not rated to 90 degrees and the instructions say to use a specific cable, there will be a reason for it.. Just go to an independent wholesalers, they should have some H05

Can you post a link to some, as I can't find it online in sensible quantities.

I'm not convinced it's needed, I can't see the underside of the hob unit getting much in the way of heat

My take...
H05BB-F appears to have a working temp of -40 to+60 degrees and voltage rating of 300v.
( H05BB-F /H07BB-F - Industrial Cables(Italian Standard) - https://www.caledonian-cables.co.uk/products/industrial-cable/Itanlian/h05bb-f.shtml#:~:text=H05BB-F%20%2FH07BB-F%20Application%20and%20Description.%20These%20rubbers%20insulated,on%20automatic%20machines%20and%20for%20low%20temperature%20environments. )

Is there a good reason why this wouldn't do the job? It's rated from -25 to 85 degrees and 300v and is flame retardant:

it appears to be sold per meter too.

My take...
H05BB-F appears to have a working temp of -40 to+60 degrees and voltage rating of 300v.
( H05BB-F /H07BB-F - Industrial Cables(Italian Standard) - https://www.caledonian-cables.co.uk/products/industrial-cable/Itanlian/h05bb-f.shtml#:~:text=H05BB-F%20%2FH07BB-F%20Application%20and%20Description.%20These%20rubbers%20insulated,on%20automatic%20machines%20and%20for%20low%20temperature%20environments. )

Is there a good reason why this wouldn't do the job? It's rated from -25 to 85 degrees and 300v and is flame retardant:

it appears to be sold per meter too.
You're right, it is rated to 60degrees. Must be a typo in the literature:

"For a single phase or two phase
connection, use the cable type: H05BB-F
or H03V2V2-F which withstands a
temperature of 90 °C or higher."

But I think that the cable you have linked to will do everything we want it to. I shall get some ordered. Thanks!

You're right, it is rated to 60degrees. Must be a typo in the literature:

"For a single phase or two phase
connection, use the cable type: H05BB-F
or H03V2V2-F which withstands a
temperature of 90 °C or higher."

But I think that the cable you have linked to will do everything we want it to. I shall get some ordered. Thanks!
I'm wondering if it is grammar issue as H03V2V2-F is rated to 90 degrees.

CEF website has 4mm HO7 for about £3/m including VAT.

I saw that earlier and at the time rejected it as I was thinking 90 degrees was the benchmark and that is 85 degrees, the same as the one I found at TLC. I agree it looks a better buy!

Thanks for the advice guys. TBH, I still recon T+E will be fine for this, but i'll get some H07 for appearances sake.
IF you buy a 50M roll , it will likely last you until you retire. I got a roll a few years ago and have only used about 3 or 4 metres of it so far

Reply to Cable for connecting induction hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net