Discuss Cable routing for outdoor light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I need some advice what is the best way to run wire to a light from a junction box as pictured. Is it a good practice to clip cable directly on the wall, or should I use conduit or flex conduit? also is it good practice to have IP66 junction box outside as there is not other way to run wire from a switch to outside light.

Thank you in advanced.

Attachments

• IMG_6035.JPG
    865.4 KB · Views: 26
Is there no lighting circuit in the porch? Or near the porch, so you can run a wire inside the house?
You would then fit a Quinetic wireless switch to this and put the switch wherever you like.

the lighting switch is in the hallway behind the porch, that controls the lighting in hallway.

You would have to connect to the light fitting and not the switch itself, as the switch may not have a neutral in there.
Can you not run a wire from the hallway light to where the new light is going and fir a wireless switch?

IP66 boxes are designed to be outside, and sometimes it’s the only way.

Modern LED floodlights normally come with a metre or so of flex already attached so it needs to be connected to the twin and earth coming out the house.

maybe mount the light a little higher to minimise flex on show. Clip flex surface up to board, then round the corner and back toward the joint box. Most of it will be hidden by the plant.

another option would be to fit a 5A FCU in the front bedroom, fed from a local socket, drill out roughly where you have marked JB, then down to PIR light. then no need for switch wiring.

Reply to Cable routing for outdoor light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net