Discuss Cables and trunking. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. Could anyone tell me what would be the best size plastic trunking for 2.5mm square cable internally? my guess is probably 16mm square but not sure.
Thanks for your help.

16x16 is big enough for 2.5 t&e, if it’s a straight run.... no bends.

25 x 16 gives a little more room.... 2 cables, again, if it’s a straight run.

Correct fixings required to prevent premature collapse in case of fire.

16x16 is big enough for 2.5 t&e, if it’s a straight run.... no bends.

25 x 16 gives a little more room.... 2 cables, again, if it’s a straight run.

Correct fixings required to prevent premature collapse in case of fire.
Hello. When using 1.5mm flex cable what would be a suitable size of trunking for this?
Thanks for your help.

In the past, I would try use 16x16 for one or even two 2.5mm2, and 2 or even 3 smaller cables. But often there would be tight spots like bends or trying to enter down the side of a pattress. So having used up what stock I had, I now generally use 25x16, saves time trying to get cables to fit properly. Unless there are more cables and something bigger is called for.

Also remember that when putting cables in plastic trunking to use fire rated trunking clips.

Only if it’s mounted over a door way ?

If you look at page 5 of the BBB about changes to the regs, it states:
Regulation 52 l.l 0.202 requires cables to be adequately supported against their premature collapse in the event of a fire and applies throughout the installation, not just in escape routes as previously.

but if said trunking is vertical in the corner of a room, chance of it strangling a firefighter are asm remote as me giving up the smokes and beer. common sense should prevail.

As telectrix says, although the updated reg applies to ALL cable support systems whether or not they are in an escape route, common sense could be used to assess whether a particular length of trunking/cable/conduit would prematurely collapse in the event of a fire.

you could get round that reg. by whacking it on with clout nails.

Reply to Cables and trunking. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net