Discuss Can anyone help me wire up a doorbell?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 133622

Hi all,

I'm a beginner DIYer and I'm having trouble wiring up a simple doorbell... For context, I unwired it some time ago, but I stupidly didn't take a photo of how it was previously connected.

I have a doorbell transformer close by, as well as the button outside. From what I read online, I should have a blue cable from the button on 0 or 3, and the other blue from the transformer on 0 or 3. And the other pair from the transformer and button connect together onto 1. The problem is I've tried these different combinations and it just won't work. I've also tried a couple different buttons outside. If anyone can help a beginner out I'd appreciate it a lot!! Thanks

I've tried to attach a picture below

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_190904999.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 30
Well looking at how it would work if it had batteries....
You want the transformer connected to 0 and 3.
I would then take a short bit of wire and briefly join 0 and 1, and then 3 and 1. Whichever pair makes it ding are the two wires for the button, either way around. (Note 1 and 2 are joined anyway as far as I can tell).
If no joy, try reversing 0 and 3 as the transformer will be DC and there is a right and wrong way.

First of all, is there a wiring diagram for the bell? 2 of those screw terminals will make the bell go ding-dong when you apply power. It appears to be 0 and 3

you also need to check your transformer works.

touch the wires from the transformer against the terminals in turn until you get the ding-dong... that’s checked both of these work.

Take one line from the transformer and join it to one of the wires from the push button.... you can use 1 and 2 for this as they are just a link if you were using battery’s in this bell.
other push button wire to 0, if that worked the bell before... and the other wire from the transformer to 3.

as above, the supply will be DC, so you need to wire it the right way round or it will go dong-ding instead of ding-dong

And lastly.....it’s wired in phone cable so you’ve got more cores there than you need.

Reply to Can anyone help me wire up a doorbell?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net