Discuss Can you check SMA Sunny Boy is set to G83 through Sunny Explorer? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

swifty

ok, so here's my first post.

Just got Sunny Explorer set up via Bluetooth from my laptop. Connecting to a Sunny Boy 3800. I'm trying to check if it's been set to UK G83 (From searching on here 5 and 8 inside the inverter) without opening the inverter. I've powered down and G83 does not appear on the startup panel on the inverter itself.

Reason for asking - If my Grid supply hit's 253V some auto disconnect feature of the Inverter kicks in (From reading on here that in itself appears wrong)

All I can find at the moment is going to Settings, Grid Monitoring and can see the following next to Country standard

VDE0126-1-1

I have used the search facility and can not find anyone confirming if it's possible to check G83 setttings within Sunny Explorer.

Aware I could have answered my own question but I'm new to all this.

Yep I have spoke to my installer who claims thats working as it should be!!!!!!

Cheers

I'm not certain about using Sunny Explorer but the Germans use VDEO126-1-1 standard.
The easiest way to check is on the inverter display itself, when booting up, the grid setting is displayed on the lines at the bottom of the display.
First the display shows the firmware version, then after 5 seconds shows the serial number and then after a further 5 seconds the country standard is displayed.
If its configured for G83 then then it will clearly show G83/1, if not then you need to set the internal switches to 5/8.
If you need to change the switches then it needs to be done within the first 10 generation hours otherwise you will need the grid guard unlock code from SMA

Last edited:
Here is what the installation instructions say:
"5.7.1 Setting the Installation Country
Using the "Default" parameter you can set the installation country and/or the grid connection
standard valid for the country via a communication device (e.g. Sunny WebBox) or a PC with
corresponding software (e.g., Sunny Data Control or Sunny Explorer). This, however, is only required
if the inverter was originally ordered for another country. You can see the standard to which the
inverter was set upon delivery from the type plate and the supplementary document provided with the
factory settings."

So you should have been given a piece of paper which says how the inverter was set upon delivery and it should also say on the inverter itself. Your installer might not have given the piece of paper to you. I have installed a number of other SMA models but not that one. However, it sounds like it is set to a continental standard if it is showing VDE... on startup. Certainly if it is tripping at 253V that is wrong. In this country it should trip at 264V. If it is wrong, you will need a grid guard code to change it. I doubt SMA will give you one unless you can convince them you are in the business. So you really need to get your installer to acknowledge the problem.

Regards
Bruce

Edited to add: Just read the previous post and having looked at the installation manual I do NOT believe the 3800 has the switches to select the country like the more modern SMA designs do. You have to do it via software link.

Last edited:
Cheers, Just checked again, it goes firmware version, then says WR38-015 then goes to normal display. No mention of G83.

I'm a bit un willing to check the dial settings (for a start I don't know where they are) and feel the installer should come round and show me them set correctly. Getting them back having paid is proving tricky. I contacted my DNO as they suggested saying all there work was fine. DNO say no issue's with there side either.

It's been running for a week, :-( roughly 8 times a day it cuts out and sometimes stays off for 3 hours.

Cheers Bruce, I was thinking along your lines but didn't have the conviction to know I was thinking right. The installer has said they will send someone out. I was going to ask them to show me the dials set at 5 and 8 but I see my model might not have them, :-(

They also said that the UK has moved to european standards and that tripping at 253V is correct. I think that is plain wrong and seems like you do too.

They are wrong.
We have moved to 230V, but it is 230V +10% -6%, so in reality the DNOs have left it at 240V.
I rarely here say I 'know' something rather than 'believe' or 'think' it, but I know they are wrong if they think cutting out at 253V under G83/1-1 is correct.

Here are the settings (tabbing/etc goes awry in copying but you should be able to work it out):

GB – United Kingdom
In compliance with Electricity Association Engineering Recommendations G83/1.
In the United Kingdom there is a legal requirement (under Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity
Regulations) for the installer to notify the DNO at or before the time of installation of the micro-generator
(Inform and Fit).
Parameter Maximum
clearance time
s
Maximum
trip setting
Over voltage (stage 1) 1,5 264 V
Under voltage (stage 1) 1,5 207 V
Over frequency 0,5 50,5 Hz
Under frequency 0,5 47,0 Hz
LoM a 0,5
a Notes for the United Kingdom:
– LoM protection shall use a recognised technique suitable for the micro-generator technology
employed such as ROCOF, Vector shift or Frequency shift.
– Active methods for detecting LoM which inject current pulses into the distribution network are not
accepted in the United Kingdom.
– In the United Kingdom it is only necessary to provide a single stage for under / over voltage and
frequency protection.
– The protection settings can be increased to 5,0 s for those SSEG units that can withstand being
energised from a source that is 180° out of phase with the SSEG output.

Regards
Bruce

Edited to add: Just read the previous post and having looked at the installation manual I do NOT believe the 3800 has the switches to select the country like the more modern SMA designs do. You have to do it via software link.

Yes BruceB your right, sorry I was thinking of TL's (the clue was in the question!) and as you say it will need the Grid Guard code to change it

They are wrong.
We have moved to 230V, but it is 230V +10% -6%, so in reality the DNOs have left it at 240V.
I rarely here say I 'know' something rather than 'believe' or 'think' it, but I know they are wrong if they think cutting out at 253V under G83/1-1 is correct.

Here are the settings (tabbing/etc goes awry in copying but you should be able to work it out):

GB – United Kingdom
In compliance with Electricity Association Engineering Recommendations G83/1.
In the United Kingdom there is a legal requirement (under Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity
Regulations) for the installer to notify the DNO at or before the time of installation of the micro-generator
(Inform and Fit).
Parameter Maximum
clearance time
s
Maximum
trip setting
Over voltage (stage 1) 1,5 264 V
Under voltage (stage 1) 1,5 207 V
Over frequency 0,5 50,5 Hz
Under frequency 0,5 47,0 Hz
LoM a 0,5
a Notes for the United Kingdom:
– LoM protection shall use a recognised technique suitable for the micro-generator technology
employed such as ROCOF, Vector shift or Frequency shift.
– Active methods for detecting LoM which inject current pulses into the distribution network are not
accepted in the United Kingdom.
– In the United Kingdom it is only necessary to provide a single stage for under / over voltage and
frequency protection.
– The protection settings can be increased to 5,0 s for those SSEG units that can withstand being
energised from a source that is 180° out of phase with the SSEG output.

Regards
Bruce

Cheers, I don't have any doc that tells me what standard it came as but have taken a pic on the side, not sure if this proves anything tbh although it does say 230v on it, also the mauals were in German, :) a friend of mine's from the same installer got a UK manual and his shows G83 on startup.

photo.jpg

If you have got German grid settings and a manual only in German then it suggests this inverter was originally made for/sold in the German market. English manual (downloadable) says

5.7 Setting the Grid and Country Parameters​

Changing Grid-Relevant and Country Parameters​
To change grid-relevant parameters, you need a personal access code - the so-calledSMA Grid Guard Code. The application form for the personal access code is located inthe download area at Home. SMA Solar Technology AG, in the "Certificate" category for each inverter.Ensure that you discuss the changes to these parameters with your electric power company.​
A detailed description of the operating parameters for the inverter is available in the download areaat Home. SMA Solar Technology AG in the category "Technical Description" of the respective inverter.

5.7.1 Setting the Installation Country​
Using the "Default" parameter you can set the installation country and/or the grid connectionstandard valid for the country via a communication device (e.g. Sunny WebBox) or a PC withcorresponding software (e.g., Sunny Data Control or Sunny Explorer). This, however, is only requiredif the inverter was originally ordered for another country. You can see the standard to which theinverter was set upon delivery from the type plate and the supplementary document provided with thefactory settings.​

The plate does not have anything on it that says what it is configured to, although I thought they introduced the /V variant limited to 16A for the UK market. Are you sure it is tripping at 253 not 264? Is it on the end of a long thin ac cable?

C, also the mauals were in German, :) a friend of mine's from the same installer got a UK manual and his shows G83 on startup.

The English manuals are available from the SMA web site, there are lots but these two might be useful

Installation guide: http://files.sma.de/dl/5691/SB33_38-IEN111851.pdf

Also the G83 certificate which shows what the over voltage settings should be:- http://files.sma.de/dl/1807/G83_SBWB33-38V-ZEEN112614.pdf

I also believe the /V has the 16A limit but not certain it was only for the UK market I would think SMA should be able to tell what the factory/country settings were from the serial number.

Last edited:
The plate does not have anything on it that says what it is configured to, although I thought they introduced the /V variant limited to 16A for the UK market. Are you sure it is tripping at 253 not 264? Is it on the end of a long thin ac cable?

It is defo tripping at 253, i have been watching it for about 10 hours over the weekend an today and every time it trips the voltage AC voltage shows between 253 and 254, it has never been above that whilst I have been watching.

Yep it's at the end of about 15m run of 6mm AC cable along my loft then outside and down the gable end to the mains.

16A in 6mm^2 twin cable will give you 16 x 15m x 0.0073 ohms/m = 1.75V drop so that should not be the problem. Armed with all this I am sure you can persuade the installer to get a code from SMA and change the settings. Might speed things up if you download the application form in advance of his visit.

Whilst waiting for my Installer to turn up I emailed SMA, the response is below

"VDE0126-1-1 is the German grid setting. So somehow the suppliers of your installers have managed to source a non-UK inverter and sold it on.

It is actually straightforward to fix using a laptop and a Bluetooth connection (see attached FAQ sheet), but it can only be done by a qualified electrician as it involves changing the parameters to UK voltages (i.e G83/1)."

So at least I know what the installer needs to do for sure, I'm just worried about them doing it correctly as the electrician that came didn't even know what Sunny Explorer was, :)

i would suggest u help the electrician then! at the end of the day he has been passed a non uk product by supplier!! always handy to know in future !! but lets hope uk products for uk solar pv back soon!!!!!!!!!!!i also woudnt no what to do via laptop due to always having uk kit!! so dont be to hard on sparks !! dont mean he not a very good installer !! but will be more knowlegable after your lesson:)!!

i would suggest u help the electrician then! at the end of the day he has been passed a non uk product by supplier!! always handy to know in future !! but lets hope uk products for uk solar pv back soon!!!!!!!!!!!i also woudnt no what to do via laptop due to always having uk kit!! so dont be to hard on sparks !! dont mean he not a very good installer !! but will be more knowlegable after your lesson:)!!

Hi fella, completely agree with you. I've offered to let the electrician who comes use my laptop and software and even told them to bring his laptop and I'll put the software on it for him.

The fitters and sparky were spot on.

I guess my issue was more of an after sales problem with the install company. The fact I have had to take ownership of the problem having spent nearly 10k, even having to mail SMA myself.

Reply to Can you check SMA Sunny Boy is set to G83 through Sunny Explorer? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net