Discuss Career change at 35 and in FULL TIME 60 Week job - What career pathway? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

I am desperate for a career change at 35. I have had a 17 year career within sports and leisure. I have ended up as a football kit manager. Sounds great being in professional sport but the hours (60-80 hour) are ridiculous, pay poor and the wife is ready to leave me. I am stuck in a rut and need retrain!

I would like to become a qualified electrician and (in time) move into renewable. My first aim is to get out the club and find a course/job to start on a career pathway, even if its low paid. To be honest I have a lot of questions and courses to choose from. I need advice over courses in relation to career path and employment.

Train online or distance learning.

What good courses are out there?
Will I able find work with this qualification?

Jack in the job, study full-time.

Jack in the job, Seek an apprenticeship?
Can I get on an apprenticeship will on qualifications?
Would I benefit from gaining a qualification to get on an apprenticeship?

Any guidance would great

Thanks
Rob

Why an electrician?
What sector are you thinking of going into? House bashing, commercial or industrial.
If house bashing then it seems that every man and his dog wants to go into this and with the scammers telling people its just 5 weeks then you will be earning loads of money then no wonder.

There was a web site where you could check out names of electricians were in your area. Cant find it now. Just check out how many people in your area you will have to compete against...

i like how the scams refer to their members as competent persons, never as electricians. that's like the synagogue having arabs as the congregation.

i like how the scams refer to their members as competent persons, never as electricians. that's like the synagogue having arabs as the congregation.
Thats because there are hardly any about, I doubt 10% of all people carrying out electrical installation work are qualified lol

Hi all, i don't want to hijack someone else's thread but i was reading this and was going to start a new thread.But i thought i could add to the questions which might give the op and myself more information.

I would like to work for a company, house based or for a production line fixing machinery. Is one. course going to cover it all or is house based completely different to what you would learn being more of a engineering electrician working with 3 phase etc?

What is the likely hood of getting a apprentice at this age?

What is the likely hood of being a sparkies mate for a company to then trainee you up?

Which course will help:
Electrical Installation - Level 2
Mandatory Units:
QPEO2 001N Working safely in an engineering environment
QPEO2 002N Working efficiently and effectively in engineering
QPEO2 003N Using and communicating technical information

Optional Units:
QPEO2 033N Wiring and testing electrical equipment and circuits
QPEO2 034N Forming and assembling electrical cable enclosure and support systems
QPEO2 037N Maintaining electrical equipment and systems

Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Electrotechnical Installation
- NVQ Level 3 in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) - City and Guilds 2357
- Functional Skills in English, maths and ICT at level 2, if not already achieved
- AM2 Practical Examination

Sorry again OP but i think we could get better answers as a joint thread or i will start my own thread.
Regards jon

Hello

I am desperate for a career change at 35. I have had a 17 year career within sports and leisure. I have ended up as a football kit manager. Sounds great being in professional sport but the hours (60-80 hour) are ridiculous, pay poor and the wife is ready to leave me. I am stuck in a rut and need retrain!

I would like to become a qualified electrician and (in time) move into renewable. My first aim is to get out the club and find a course/job to start on a career pathway, even if its low paid. To be honest I have a lot of questions and courses to choose from. I need advice over courses in relation to career path and employment.

What good courses are out there? City and guilds, only one worth doing
Will I able find work with this qualification? should do

Jack in the job, study full-time. No

Jack in the job, Seek an apprenticeship? its possible very low wage

Any guidance would great

Thanks
Rob

ggggggggg

Alright mate....

First off dont quit your job, at 35 you will find it tough in the beginning so keep your job and train around it.

Second off dont join a 5 week scheme that promises the earth, it will take years to have the skills of an electrician NOT 5 weeks.

You have 2 choices, apprentice route or part time study. At 35 the latter is more than likely the best route.

The apprentice route you will complete city and guilds 2357(this includes tech cert, NVQ3 and AM2)

Adult learner route you will complete 2365 this is basically the tech cert, you will do this at college over 3 years 2 nights a week........during this time apply for electrician mate jobs and even work experience........hopefully you will land a decent company who will help you complete the NVQ3......then once you have this put yourself in for the AM2...........

during all the above you should look into completing 17th edition BS7671 course.....City and guilds 2394 and 2395........

once you have all this you will be in a great position to earn decent money.

good luck

Love to know how the scams are going to get away with it when the new amendments come out in the regs , as competent person is being removed with something along the lines of suitably skilled and trained.

Hello

Jack in the job, study full-time.

Jack in the job, Seek an apprenticeship?

Any guidance would great

Thanks
Rob

How do you expect to find the time to train to become an electrician?? To be honest with you, try and look elsewhere for your career change. You're just not going to be able to make the time required for the technical training side of things let alone the all important work experience element. Unfortunately there is no quick route to becoming a qualified electrician and that is an absolute demonstrable fact... There are plenty of wannabe's on this forum that have been fleeced out of 1000's of Pounds for literary worthless qualifications/credentials, so don't whatever you do be tempted to go down that route!!

I'm 33 and in a similar position, though I work ~58 hours a week. I finished C&G 2365 level 2 with good grades doing 3 nights a week over one year. It wasn't so tough but 8:30am to 9:00pm is a long day. Looking in greater london there aren't many places that do level 3 as an evening option so I'm trying to find work as a mate and hopefully study day release. Most colleges seem to offer the level 3 on that basis.

Reply to Career change at 35 and in FULL TIME 60 Week job - What career pathway? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net