Discuss career change through redundancy! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cleggy

-
Reaction score
After working as a window fitter for several years, i was made redundant like many others. i surfed the internet and found an electricians course with olci. 3mths later i now have my c&g level 2, cscs card. "but still no job". Are there loads of newbies out there like me, and no work or is it just a bad time of year?:cool:

You just have to go through this site and see how many people like yourself are looking for work and some if not most are offering to work for free.

It is very difficult times and I hope that things will change, but it really is don't hold your breath until it does.

Still you will get a warm welcome here and wish you the best of luck

Hi Cleggy,

Like you, I am re-training with OLCI. just completed my Level 2 last week and should be starting Level 3 mid Feb. Been going between Livingston and Newcastle due to timings of courses. I'm in IT at the moment but want to change, electrician seemed... logical. I've just joined the Forum and also looking for a way into the industry.

Welcome aboard!

After working as a window fitter for several years, i was made redundant like many others. i surfed the internet and found an electricians course with olci. 3mths later i now have my c&g level 2, cscs card. "but still no job". Are there loads of newbies out there like me, and no work or is it just a bad time of year?:cool:

Hi & welcome to the forums.

So when does your training finish?

you have a CSCS card, but not JIB right. In times of tough economic conditions, most employers will seek JIB approved electricians, and indeed most agencies. If there are 20 applicants for 1 one job, which is quite common in todays climate, I would say half if not more do not have JIB, so those applicants will get filtered at a very stage.

This industry is awash with people like you who believe a course lasting a few months is the route to becoming a spark. There are literally thousands of time served tradesmen out of work. Why would anyone employ you before them? I've worked on dozens of sites full of people who have been fast-tracked into the industry and they are nothing short of a liabilty. There seems to be a stigma held against those that do tuppence-ha'penny courses like the one you are.

Reply to career change through redundancy! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net