Discuss Ceiling light troubleshoot in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all. Any help/advice regarding my rewiring would be appreciated. I'm very likely calling in an electrician once we're allowed to, to sort out my mess.

I wanted to replace pendant lights in my Kitchen. There are two lights connected to the same switch.
The original wiring was like so:
IMG_20201124_123843.jpg

And the box for the new lamp was like so:
Blue wire on the left hand side, brown to the right.

IMG-20201124-WA0004.jpeg

My handy work was this:
newwire.jpg

And astonishingly enough, when I turned the power back on and switched the switch, both lights came on! Hurray. But then when I popped everything on, the 2nd light didn't come on:
1 lamp.jpeg

So I'm thinking a wire came loose as I was fitting the bracket on. No problem, let's have a look, and sure enough, it looked like one of the neutral wires were loose. Okay, so redid them and now nothing turns on! D'oh.

Any clues as to where I buggered it up?

Those connectors are not suitable for multiple cables and what you have done demonstrates this. That is an accident waiting to happen, I would recommend an electrician to connect it safely.

Thanks Westward. I'll keep them off until I get an electrician in.
What type of accident are we talking about with using this connector? Fire?

Lose wires can cause fires do not take the chance. Good decision getting a professional in.

Reply to Ceiling light troubleshoot in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views
Hi, there are 3 bundles of wires coming from my ceiling and I've been told they have been tested with a multimeter and have all got a current but...
Replies
Views
I have 2 lights connected to 1 switch. I installed a led light fixture on one light, it had one red wire and one black wires. It was easy to match...
Replies
Views
I am adding a light fixture in a room I am restoring in my 160 yo house. I have ran a new 12-2 w/ground wire from the ceiling box to a junction...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some advice on the wiring for a new ceiling light. I have taken down the original light, and I'm left with the wiring in the image...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock