Discuss Changing Consumer Unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't think it would help the OP Murdoch as he's from Northern Ireland which have a different set of building regs. Technical Booklets 2012 ? Building Control NI A quick look through technical document R page 46 and I think they have different requirements on heights of accessories for example.

How stupid can the UK get. Surely 1 set of regs would be best.... no wonder the incomers get confused then don't give a txss!

Generally if your registered in Ireland, it's normally NICEIC or ECA in Northern Ireland or RECI in Southern Ireland
The black connectors your are referring to are , and this is where the spark would generally disconnect the tails when they are carrying out a consumer unit change, but its work that need to be carried out with a bit of care when you are working live

Generally if your registered in Ireland, it's normally NICEIC or ECA in Northern Ireland or RECI in Southern Ireland
The black connectors your are referring to are , and this is where the spark would generally disconnect the tails when they are carrying out a consumer unit change, but its work that need to be carried out with a bit of care when you are working live

Thats the correct thing Martin, I am going to buy a REC 2 100amp Isolating switch tomorrow, call NIE and get them to isolate the house supply to enable me to do the switch over or let them do it for me, save a lot of hastle in the future if these amendments keep changing !! Or does NIE provide REC 2 switch upon request?

I haven't been involved in domestic as a rule but
Generally a competent spark would disconnect the tails from the Isco's , and carry out the consumer unit change without involving the NIE , as the demarcation line from the NIE is normally the tails going into the meter

Not sure what you meant about only registering with RECI and the 1st of January, in regards to a northern contractor

I didn't mention northern contractors. I was saying that since the 1st January RECI has been the only Electrical Safety Supervisory Body (SSB) in the south, and therefore it has only been possible to be registered with RECI in the south. The other SSB was registering anyone and everyone and therefore the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) put out to tender that there would only be one SSB.

RECI won the tender and the other SSB only came third. (An outside company came second.) Therefore RECI is the only show in town in the south now.

In the north it is still NICEIC Approved Contractor and ECA. (I think there may be something like one NAPIT member in the north.)

Last edited:
I haven't been involved in domestic as a rule but
Generally a competent spark would disconnect the tails from the Isco's , and carry out the consumer unit change without involving the NIE , as the demarcation line from the NIE is normally the tails going into the meter

...thus falling foul of EAWR Regulation 14.

I am currently planning on changing the Consumer Unit in the Boiler Room of my home. The board is 17 years old, fitted with old cartridge fuse holders. I am planning on upgrading to a new amendment 3 (bs7671 - 2015) standard. The problem I am having is that I have no experience of working Live, the incoming tails from the meter box have no means of isolation. They are connected into Black connector blocks just before the Consumer Unit and then doubled together in both connectors and are connected on til 2 80A RCD's. If I can get the tails safely isolated, I know how to do all the rest.
Can anybody here advise me on what my safest option would be to give me peace of mind?

First year Trainee Oggymac, I wouldn't have thought that you have the experience to do this work on your own, maybe you could attempt it under the supervision of your mentor

...thus falling foul of EAWR Regulation 14.
not in my book. if all precautions to prevent injury are taken, there's no reason to hold a job up several days to wait for someone else to wander up and work live, same as you would do yourself.

Call your supplier and get them to fit an isolator switch. Then call your local building control, tell them what you want to do and they will check over it all for you and sign it off if satisfactory. This all costs money though..

not in my book. if all precautions to prevent injury are taken, there's no reason to hold a job up several days to wait for someone else to wander up and work live, same as you would do yourself.

Npw, you know that's not what the reg says, it's only one of three prerequisites. I'd love to have you argue in court that it was unreasonable to make the conductor dead.

When making it dead is as simple as pulling the bullet then it is unreasonable to work live don't you think?

How stupid can the UK get. Surely 1 set of regs would be best.... no wonder the incomers get confused then don't give a txss!

It's getting worse - I notice that AM3 OSG talks about the "Building Regulations of Wales" (OSG section 1.2.4) - "On 31 December 2011 the power to make building regulations for Wales was transferred to Welsh Ministers".

It says that the building regs for England and Wales continue to apply in Wales until Welsh Minsters make changes to them.

It's getting worse - I notice that AM3 OSG talks about the "Building Regulations of Wales" (OSG section 1.2.4) - "On 31 December 2011 the power to make building regulations for Wales was transferred to Welsh Ministers".

It says that the building regs for England and Wales continue to apply in Wales until Welsh Minsters make changes to them.

That doesn't seem to make sense to you? What regulations should apply until Welsh ministers make changes to them?

Reply to Changing Consumer Unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net