Discuss Changing contractors mid rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LionellRaggett

Hi guys,

First post and wondering if you experts can help a tricky problem?

Been having my 3 bed semi fully rewired as part of a renovation and my sparky (recommended by a friend who had him do their house - as he was neat fast and tidy and relatively inexpensive) has let me down before he got to finish the first fix last weekend (had a nasty accident so won't be back for 2-3 months - i.e. after xmas - anyway too far off to delay everything else for).

Am I being realistic in asking a new sparky to take up where he's left off and be able to get a full works cert for the install?

OR

What would BC typically say if I turned a competent person installation into something involving them mid process? (The guidance says to call them *before* starting...but Im a bit late for that unless I rip it all out then call them, and start from scratch - which is just plain dumb as so far its been done by a competent person) - would it then become a regularisation certification process? Do they normally pre-inspect?
There are fixes to do in the bathroom (lights and extractor) and kitchen, and the planning portal seems to intimate that this work must be done by at least a part P-er even if you involve building control.

Any advice appreciated as I'm a bit stuck and don't want to do anything naughty nor invoke too much extra cost - but want it done properly.

Regards

Lino

PS Sorry if this is in the wrong forum (please advise where to post if so)

A favorite saying of mine is "s... hits the fan, Its how you deal with it that counts".

Forget building control, get a local registered electrician in. He needs to spend a day testing the cables that the other spark has installed and then continue with the works. An EIC can b givene by the new sparky with a limitation of cable routing of what he did'nt install. Call a local spark or post up your town/area and one of us could help.

ps I hope the other spark is ok after his accident.

A favorite saying of mine is "s... hits the fan, Its how you deal with it that counts".

Thanks Paul, sounds like what I say "**** happens, deal with it".

OK I'll ring around local sparks... there's a few vans always parked just down the road outside the local building site.

He's pretty messed up: motorbike accident into a hedge, but sat up in his hosp bed compus mentus. Splints to fix bones etc.

L

I was under the impression that LIM could not be used on an Electrical Installation Certificate.

A little more advice required here I believe with assisting on this matter fully.

has let me down before he got to finish the first fix

Firstly, have the chases been plastered and all boards refitted yet?

I would happily continue with this so long as I could inspect every single inch of cable ran and was happy with correct cable selection and erection. As mentioned by Paul, everything would need to be inspected and tested fully.

***Sorry to hear about the chap who was doing the work***

nightmare, for you both!

can't you ask him to get someone else in the trade locally to take over his job? I know that's what I'd do.

Reply to Changing contractors mid rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net