Discuss citroen berlingo as a electricians van? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

SX2

-
Reaction score
Has anyone out there had a berlingo as a work van? if so how much Kit can they handle weight wise and any problems to look out for?

Many thanks

Steve.

They are French, get a proper van. Sorry mate, but my experience of french s**** is not good. Avoid the cars like the plague, i would rather use a sack cart and walk around my jobs, at least i could guarantee getting there.

Did know a plasterer who had one, and he confirmed my opinions but using much more expletives.

Cheers..........Howard

only one thing worse than a berlingo......... 2 berlingos. get a vw caddy or a velly reriable jap van.

The Berlingo is the same as the Peugeot Partner, which seem to be the most popular vans around, so it shouldn't be too hard to source parts for them.
It seems the difference between a French vehicle and a German/Japanese one is when stuff goes wrong on German/Japanese stuff it's "just one of those things" but if the same thing goes wrong on a French vehicle it's because it's "useless French rubbish".
I've had Peugeots before which have all been absolutely fine - start first time, nothing really breaks down. The worst car I ever had was a Nissan Micra (Nissan are Japanese).

Had a Bingo (Berlingo) and it's capacity is pants. You can't get much in it and when you do you struggle to find it. Racking it just restricts you more. Had just about the basics in one and it was running really low on the back suspension.

Cheers,
Lofty

i was running one as works van, im mainly service orientated but a pain to get gear in as mine had no side loader door, as previous mentioned racking restricts space even more, its a 57 plate with 81k and is now in the garage after being towed home last week looks like turbo blown, currently running nissan primastar which is good but bit big for service, i would not turn down the likes of a vw caddy but think boss looking down the route of astra or combo

i had a primastar. it's a renault traffic. i stuck a 4x4 sticker on it as it spent more time off the road than on it.

Me mate bought a 05 transit connect 1.6 petrol on gas for 1600 quid with racking. Dont no if any 1s had a gas van 77p a litre but less MPG. Seems to be the way forward STUFF this 145p a litre game

berlingo = Anaconda (the Jay Lo film) , as in, "snake sh!te".

VW's hold their value for a reason, it's not a big conspiracy against French cars!

I have heard bad things about Primastars & Vivaro's ..... pop! bang! etc etc

EDIT: Connects seem ok, good solid Ford, cheap to service, & so on.

I have a transporter and fill it sometimes. Depends what work you are doing and what tools you've got.

I would love a caddy (few more MPG) but would never get the hoover, conduit, drills ... and the rest of it in there. Can't see how I managed without a bigger van once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Viv0's fav is the gearbox going, Ford the Injectors go or EGR value goes, Vauxhall the fuel pump goes, Renaults should be painted brown as a standard colour. Buy a Vw German engineering is the dogs END OV
I'm afraid that's why every 1 makes nice shiny camper vans out of them.

Viv0's fav is the gearbox going, Ford the Injectors go or EGR value goes, Vauxhall the fuel pump goes, Renaults should be painted brown as a standard colour. Buy a Vw German engineering is the dogs END OV
I'm afraid that's why every 1 makes nice shiny camper vans out of them.

they thought the egr valve was the problem when the man in the orange van came out and plugged his laptop in but closer inspections revealed the turbo

Do Not Get a Berlingo, i've not had one but a few of my mates have had and wished they hadn't.

As for VW transporters my T4 has not let me down for the last 8 years i've owned it, and my 74 Baywindow transporter is still going!

I've got a berlingo. It's sluggish to drive and gives you a bad back stretching to reach your gear.

Wish I'd bought a connect with sliding door.

Ive got one, its good for round town, very nippy, (2.0 HDI) and good on fuel. bad points are, in 3 years its had a new starter, new exhaust, drivers door lock is bust, and it took theives about 2 minutes to pop the lock on the back doors, and clear out all my tools! the room in the back is ok, but not great.

so why don't we all get one of these?

fibreglass body, no rust, only 3 tyres to worry about. no expensive electronic crap to go wrong

0front.jpg

Last edited:
... And it's a classic so you could probably get cheaper insurance.
That said, Reliant Regal vans seem to command a high price due to the 'Del Boy' effect. (It was a Regal, not a Robin.)

i drive a vivaro for the past 2years and 2 date its only had a steerin pump + rear discs and pads touch wood! drove a combo wen worked for old company 1.7diesel and it was indestructable never gave up no matter how hard i thrashed it

Reply to citroen berlingo as a electricians van? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net