Discuss Code for main switch replaced with RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
On a test & inspection today, I came across an older Wylex split load board that had been modified to add RCD protection for all circuits (see photo). The main switch was replaced with an RCD (despite there being room to add the second RCD to the left of the main switch). So a fault (or RCD test) on the LH bank of circuits trips both RCDs.

I'm inclined to code this as C3, since it defeats the object of trying to provide some discrimination, not necessarily potentially dangerous.

I'm wondering if others would be thinking this is an unapproved modification of a board, and perhaps should be a C2?

The EICR will be unsatisfactory anyway, there are other issues like holes in the front cover, an RFC with open circuit rN, some unearthed metal fittings, etc.

Attachments

• Code for main switch replaced with RCD Series rCDs - EletriciansForums.net
    Series rCDs.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 45
C3 IMO.

This is one instance where I disagree with BPG 4.

The only reference similar to a main switch RCD is this, under the heading "do not require reporting":

Installation not divided into an
adequate number of circuits to minimise
inconvenience for safe operation, fault
clearance, inspection and testing

In my opinion this would be C3, due to possible danger of falling downstairs in the dark etc.

Thanks for the replies.

The point from Ioz2754 about being an item noted as not requiring reporting, I'd assume this refers to something that was compliant at the time of installation. I'd like to think modifying a board to put two RCDs in series was not a compliant thing to do at the time it was done.

Thanks for the replies.

The point from Ioz2754 about being an item noted as not requiring reporting, I'd assume this refers to something that was compliant at the time of installation. I'd like to think modifying a board to put two RCDs in series was not a compliant thing to do at the time it was done.
Indeed. I would agree with this. Why anyone would think this was a good idea....

Reply to Code for main switch replaced with RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock