Discuss Condu-lok , the evolution of fitting tube in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
The Americans / Canadians have been using a similar grub n screw method of installing steel tube for decades

About time that we caught up

Was thinking about problems if conduit is used as earth, but haven't seen a modern conduit system used for that and the connections would be as good for bonding purposes as any other connections used in containment.

I got the impression that conlok is more widely used in IE, than in the UK, as that's the only place I've seen or worked with it.

Probably been more than 20 years since I have seen conduit used as the Cpc

I honestly can't believe it has taken us this long to convert to grub n screw conduit boxes and fitting s

We've been down this road before.
Absolute crap in comparison with properly installed threaded conduit.
It's just another excuse for inferior work and a drop in standard.

Assuming it's well installed, in what regard could it be considered inferior work or a drop in standards?

I'm not entirely comfortable with the stuff, having worked with it on a couple of occasions, but I suspect my discomfort stems more from how I think conduit should be installed and not any problems identified with this stuff.

Considering the cost of labour it wouldn't surprise me to see more of this being specified and, assuming there's no reason not to use it, I can't see any problem with it.

One other point would be the amount of poor conduit installations I've encountered, which were installed by time served sparks, many of which were decades old. Surely that highlights the fact that standards of work have always varied wildly from one qualified professional to the next?

Not personally a fan. I've never actually used it though - only traditional screwed conduit.

Boxes etc are cast in the same manner as their threaded counterparts, with the difference being an annoyingly small grub screw in place of threaded connection. It has obvious limitations, but considerable labour savings on installation.

I get the arguments about connections, but not those about a drop in standards as threading conduit isn't a particularly skilful process - conduit is the same gauge for both systems and still has to be formed in the same way.

can't see a problem with it. come on lads, it's 2022, not 1922. things alter, not always for the better, ( see AFDD's). nowt wrong with BS1361 and 3036 fuses, but MCBs are more consumer friendly. ( harder to bypass with a nail (see also "farmers, barbed wire, barn fires," in wikipedia))

Last edited:
For the haters there is nothing wrong with you still going threading , but imo Condu-Lok is a great time saver and allows boxes and tube to be altered and modified without the hassle of having to either cut boxes off or removed entire lenghths of tube just to spin a box off.

Time is money and if I can make some time savings using a new product then I am all for it

I know lots of old time sparks who hated wagos when they first came over and they said would never use them as they didn't trust them... Guess what , they all use wagos now

I agree it's inferior to threaded conduit.Then again, it's far superior to plastic trunking. It's horses for courses. There are many types of installations where in my view it is more than adequate for the role.
Is it thou ?

The 'thread' is literally there to attach the box to the tube. Once the conduit is up on the wall there is no difference between a threaded connection Vs a Grub screw connection. The huge benefit of the grub screw connection is you can remove a box in 30 seconds. To get a threaded box off , is a royal PITA

I know lots of old time sparks who hated wagos when they first came over and they said would never use them as they didn't trust them... Guess what , they all use wagos now
One thing for sure, I rated the Wago levers from the first time I saw them.

It may be a quicker, cheaper way of installing conduit. What I'm saying is that, certainly in most industrial situations, it falls well short of threaded conduit. When installing many machines, the conduit system basically becomes part of the structure.
If you want to use it as a quick way to hide cables, fair enough.

One thing for sure, I rated the Wago levers from the first time I saw them.

It may be a quicker, cheaper way of installing conduit. What I'm saying is that, certainly in most industrial situations, it falls well short of threaded conduit. When installing many machines, the conduit system basically becomes part of the structure.
If you want to use it as a quick way to hide cables, fair enough.
I still don't see how if installed correctly with the boxes fixed to the wall and conduit fixed in place with saddles how a grub screw securing the box to the tube is inferior to a thread.
The thread is literally just there to keep the box on the tube

Americans & Canadians have been using this technology for decades and its so much faster and easier to use

Is it thou ?
When I stated it as been "inferior" I should have been a little more specific.The arguments I hear over here arecthat the metallic bond in a threaded system is better that the "grub screw" system.Thats a point I am willing to accept.As stated in my earlier post though,it's no longer a pertinent point as we no longer use the metal as the CPC.
Overall I consider the "Conlok" system a superior product and a "no brainer "really

Reply to Condu-lok , the evolution of fitting tube in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net