Discuss Connection issues Hikvision and HiLook app in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking for some assistance. I installed a cctv system a few months ago. Worked ok to start with but now it’s basically impossible to access live view via the HiLook app. Playback of recordings / activation events always freezes too.

Setup is as follows:
84A9D694-0D0C-42E6-BFD0-C40D76FB51A0.jpeg

NVR connected to the internet via powerline adapters. Issues are happening when I’m on the home wifi and when I’m outwith on 4G.

Any help much appreciated.

Can you test with a temp patch lead to rule out the powerline adapters? Have you checked the upload speed from the same power line adapter via a laptop?

It sounds like connection is not the issue, but transfer speed.

Can the nvr playback quality be reduced? It will still record at highest definition.

I've seen powerline adaptors cause problems of connections dropping out. CCTV sysems are definitely better done with a hard wired network cable.

Can you test with a temp patch lead to rule out the powerline adapters? Have you checked the upload speed from the same power line adapter via a laptop?
I’ve just tested the powerline adapter adjacent to the NVR -
Initial Result:
BF7CDE3E-37BD-4363-A337-0A02D0BF3216.jpeg

I noticed I’d plugged the NVR power source directly into the power line adapter. I swapped this with the camera power supply and gained an improvement.
46A82441-A8F3-4151-9245-5199EE9F9D5F.jpeg

Performance when viewing through the app is generally improved but still getting some issues loading and freezing.

General performance from my internet :

Router - 75Mbps Down, 17Mbps Up
Wifi - 69Mbps Down, 16Mbps up

I’m guessing my issues then are purely related to speed?

Hard wiring it to Ethernet is basically a non starter. The router and NVR are at opposite ends of the house 3 floors apart. Is there any other viable solutions to improve speed?

It sounds like connection is not the issue, but transfer speed.

Can the nvr playback quality be reduced? It will still record at highest definition.
Unsure. First time I’ve had dealings with such systems so forgive me I’m not particularly clued up.

I’ve attached some shots of the settings here. Perhaps you could tell me if this is what you might expect?

43933A48-8D28-4A9A-9FE7-07B3753212B7.jpegB3452506-5098-490E-A9BC-C63818FD179F.jpeg

Initial Result:
View attachment 96863

I noticed I’d plugged the NVR power source directly into the power line adapter. I swapped this with the camera power supply and gained an improvement.
View attachment 96864

Performance when viewing through the app is generally improved but still getting some issues loading and freezing.

General performance from my internet :

Router - 75Mbps Down, 17Mbps Up
Wifi - 69Mbps Down, 16Mbps up

I’m guessing my issues then are purely related to speed?

Hard wiring it to Ethernet is basically a non starter. The router and NVR are at opposite ends of the house 3 floors apart. Is there any other viable solutions to improve speed?

Reduce the bit rate until you get a stable connection. Apart from that no, maybe try a better powerline adapter.

Are both adapters on the same circuit? Passing through RCBO’s can be problematic.

Reply to Connection issues Hikvision and HiLook app in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net