Discuss Consumer unit feeding another consumer unit via Main switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can a domestic consumer unit feed another consumer unit, via the Main Switch. Details are:

• domestic property with 100A single phase supply, TN-C-S
  • incoming supply to Main Switch on DBU1
  • Output from the DBU1 Main Switch, also outputs two two wires, that connect to the input of another consumer unit DBU2, which is right next to DBU1
  • A earth conductor from DBU1 links to DBU2.

Is this within the regulations of BS7671?

Can a domestic consumer unit feed another consumer unit, via the Main Switch. Details are:

• domestic property with 100A single phase supply, TN-C-S
  • incoming supply to Main Switch on DBU1
  • Output from the DBU1 Main Switch, also outputs two two wires, that connect to the input of another consumer unit DBU2, which is right next to DBU1
  • A earth conductor from DBU1 links to DBU2.

Is this within the regulations of BS7671?
are you saying the mains supply loops both boards or goes to one board then the second is fed from the first?

Is there a possibility of overloading the main switch?

Sorry for the crude diagram, it looks like this. Seems they jammed another wire into the input L and N of the main switch on CCU1, that link to the CCU2 main switch inputs

2024_03_12_21_59_24_ocGMty_Telegram.png

Although it would be more normal to use some Henley blocks to split the supply.
It is down to your experience to determine if the cables or terminals are overloaded in there current arrangement.

Sorry for the crude diagram, it looks like this. Seems they jammed another wire into the input L and N of the main switch on CCU1, that link to the CCU2 main switch inputs

View attachment 113846
although that is a rough job it is the sort of thing I have seen many times, and in theory it is no different than 2 boards connected to a RDL block, personally I would fit a switch before the boards, whether it is up to regs these days I am not sure, hopefully some of the domestic guys will chip in and help out, personally, although crap I doubt it is dangerous

Strictly speaking it doesn’t adhere to BS7671 because you are required to have ONE single point of isolation for an installation.

Strictly speaking it doesn’t adhere to BS7671 because you are required to have ONE single point of isolation for an installation.
Unless there is a main isolator between the meter and the 1st DB.

Unless there is a main isolator between the meter and the 1st DB.
Well, yes, but then that becomes that point, and so on. This is Ch 46 area if I recall.

462 excerpt below. The incoming supply is via a electrical plant room to the block of flat, each flat has a standard DNO cutout fuse but no isolator on consumers tails. A SWA feeds up from the plant room to the apartment and then into CCU1 main switch. So is 462.1 complied because CCU1 and CCU2 each have a main switch, albeit they are linked via their inputs?
Code:
462 ISOLATION
462.1 Each electrical installation shall have provisions for isolation from each supply.
462.1 .201 A main linked switch or linked circuit-breaker shall be provided as near as practicable to the origin of every installation as a means of switching the supply on load and as a means of isolation.
A main switch intended for operation both live conductors of a single-phase

Reply to Consumer unit feeding another consumer unit via Main switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net