Discuss Correct LED bulb for outside use? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Correct LED bulb for outside use.
I know that outside lighting units using the old type of bulb wattage ere restricted to about 60 Watt due to the heat a higher wattage bulb would create in the restricted size of most outside lighting units. That is what I read on one of the units I have. I replaced an old type bulb today with an LED one which shows 75W and 9W. As a non electrician I assume that means it dosen’t generate much heat so the thought crossed my mind that maybe I could go for a brighter bulb and I wonder just how big I could safely use?

A 60 watt led would be fine if you wished and very bright compared to a 60 watt of the incandescent type that was used before.
Basically 60 watts of heat is 60 watts of heat, ie. Led lamps get hot as well as incandescent ones it’s just that LEDs are more efficient.

If this is GLS, you'll struggle to find a B22 or E27 lamp much beyond 10W. I've seen some around 15W, but those tend to be larger than many fittings could accommodate.

For an outside light you can go for cool white or daylight LED, rather than warm white, more commonly used indoors used indoors, Won't be dramatic, but the whiter colours are marginally more efficient, giving a few extra lumens.
'Filament' type LED lamps are the type to go for. More sideways light, and again, slightly more efficient.
12W is the largest I've ever found in a GLS sized lamp.

For an outside light you can go for cool white or daylight LED, rather than warm white, more commonly used indoors used indoors, Won't be dramatic, but the whiter colours are marginally more efficient, giving a few extra lumens.
'Filament' type LED lamps are the type to go for. More sideways light, and again, slightly more efficient.
12W is the largest I've ever found in a GLS sized lamp.
Many thanks for your advice.

Reply to Correct LED bulb for outside use? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net