Discuss Correct way to joint 3 x 30 Amp cables, 30A JB not big enough in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit this is more complicated that I thought, and this has been a good wake up call!

Now the older cable has been pointed out I do think it might be better to rewire it, as suggested a long time ago.

It might also be possible to just crimp two of them, dispense with the 3rd, and run to a dual plate.

A Knightsbridge 60amp junction boxes are much better than what you have but are not maintenance free/screwless terminals. I would use them in a loft when extending electric showers.
Yes, there are a few 60A rated boxes with cable clamps that should take those cables, but as you say they are not MF so would need to be kept in an accessible location.

It might be better to look at extending the supply cable using the correct size crimps and heat-shrink, and then putting any junction in an accessible location, or better still having it join at points such as cooker switches, etc.

However that would need proper crimp tools, etc, so really you would be better to get a professional in to do it.

So you are adding a third cable.

It might be better to look at extending the supply cable using the correct size crimps and heat-shrink, and then putting any junction in an accessible location, or better still having it join at points such as cooker switches, etc.

However that would need proper crimp tools, etc, so really you would be better to get a professional in to do it.
Much as I agree with you I have just had a professional do a part P rewire and this is one of the issues I am left with.

A Knightsbridge 60amp junction boxes are much better than what you have but are not maintenance free/screwless terminals. I would use them in a loft when extending electric showers.
It seems your answer wins Aaron as there are no MF products that fit this cable and will certainly be streets ahead of what's there at the moment, thankyou.

Much as I agree with you I have just had a professional do a part P rewire and this is one of the issues I am left with.

You haven't had a 'part P rewire' as there is no such thing.
What work did they actually carry out?

If you believe you have had a full rewire carries out then you need to take this matter up with the person who did it!

Rewire it back to the CU in one continuous length, and use a duel plate to connect up your hob and oven.
This has to be the only real option
Unfortunately domestic considerations get in the way of such an ideal solution.
If you can't rewire it then ditch the laminate and use a floor covering that allows the junction box to be accessable when making considerations safety comes first and nothing should get in it's way
And how did you assess this person to be a professional. From your past threads the theme seems to be to keep the costs as low as possible and cut corners to suit yourself so was this a cheap rewire and you only got what you wanted to pay for or did you get proper advice from a qualified professional and................ignore it or more likelydid the professional you hired quit the job while he was ahead because of you demands

It seems your answer wins Aaron as there are no MF products that fit this cable and will certainly be streets ahead of what's there at the moment, thankyou.

It's a fire risk, which would defeat the purpose of what you previously set out to achieve.

Not much point ridding the house of rubber cable due to risk of fire, then burying a screw terminal joint under combustible material.

These might be of help:

Edit: Oddly TLC say 1-1.5mm cable but the data sheet says nothing - needs more investigation.
I looked into this when I had to extend some cables, and Wago don't seem to do an MF enclosure suitable for the 221-612/3 range, which seems like a gap in the market.

The normal (original) Wagobox is fine for the 773-173 as MF, though 3 cables would be right on the limit of what it can take physically. Also only rated for 32A.

The Quickfix JB3 is a new product by a small company, designed for lighting only - they were at ELEX earlier this year. I've used it a couple of times and it's neat in the right circumstances.

I looked into this when I had to extend some cables, and Wago don't seem to do an MF enclosure suitable for the 221-612/3 range, which seems like a gap in the market.

The normal (original) Wagobox is fine for the 773-173 as MF, though 3 cables would be right on the limit of what it can take physically. Also only rated for 32A.

Even the XL box would need the cable grips removing for 6mm and for maintenance free use the wagos are de-rated to 20amps. There's not an ideal solution here beyond rewiring it. Rewiring is the best solution considering the 50 year old cable.

I don't know why I bother with this site. It seems to have a fairly large contingent of conceited individuals intent on handing out insults that completely destroy the efforts of the few nice helpful people. Please delete my membership.

Last edited:
I don't know why I bother with this site. It seems to have a fairly large contingent of conceited individuals intent on handing out insults that completely destroy the efforts of the few nice helpful people. Please delete my membership.
You keep on asking professionals for their opinion and when it is not what you want to hear you post this, REALLY!! grow up and get a life
Your safety and the safety of others seems to rank very low on your list of priorities with your bodge it and scarper, ignorance is bliss attitude I just hope it doesn't catch up with you and those you put at risk with your David Dickinson DIY electrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Correct way to joint 3 x 30 Amp cables, 30A JB not big enough in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net