Discuss Cowboy in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

drew35

I had a call from a regular customer asking if I would go to a friend of theirs house as they were having problems with some smoke alarms they have just had fitted. Well why not call the person back that had fitted them? Well apparently they had, he'd come back and looked and said there was nothing wrong, it was how it was supposed to work.

So I said I'd fit it in when I could as it was a nothing job. I turned up one evening, as I was passing, to find two optical alarms, not linked, one working, one beeping to show no mains feed. They got the number for this guy from a local builder, as he was known "to do electrics".

The downstairs alarm worked, but it was fitted only 10cm from the pendant!!! And he had picked up power from the pendant in a very ugly manner.

The upstairs alarm was beeping, which it did intermittently apparently, this one was nowhere near a pendant, and it lacked a live feed, hence the beeping. So up in the loft I go to trace it. Well it didn't take long to figure it out, there was a cable running past the alarm that had been cut and choc blocked, and the alarm cable added, no enclosure around it of course. And what was the cable? The two way lighting cable for the landing light, so depending on the position of the light switches, depended whether the alarm had power or not!:rofl:

Repositioned, rewired, linked.

yeah, and they all look like essex girls, but with more brains.LOL>

Listening to too many old wives tales there Tel... Nothing wrong with Essex girls, though i understand that the same can't be said of the girls North of Watford!! lol!!

Reply to Cowboy in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net