Discuss Cricket Bowling Machine Power Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimjim2991

Hi,

I've recently bought a bowling machine and the peak power output is 600W. Unfortunately, due to the location of the ground, we are unable to run the machine off the mains.

I've been told to get a pure sine wave inverter, a car battery and a car battery charger. Then, I will have everything I need to run the bowling machine without mains.

There is a lot of choice for those 3 things. Is there anything I need to bear in mind when buying each?

Also, how might I be able to work out how long the bowling machine will run for?

600 watts @ 12V is 50A . it will drain the average 60AH car battery in less than 1 hour.

I was told 600W was the 'peak' power. My thinking is that the bowling machine has spikes of power (when firing the ball), but inbetween drops to a much lower power. I'm trying to find out from the manufacturers how/if the power varies.

Your not giving us the info we need and tbh the best bet as you are already trying is to speak direct to the manufacturers as they may already have a portable power solution given the nature of the device and it probability of been in the middle of a big field.

Funnily enough, they do not have a portable power solution for this yet. It's 'in development'.

Question: are all 1000W pure sine wave inverters the same? Or can you get 'better' ones than others? If so, why would they be better?

I'd just like to know all important considerations for each element of my set up: sine wave inverter, battery and battery charger.

Hi,

I've recently bought a bowling machine and the peak power output is 600W. Unfortunately, due to the location of the ground, we are unable to run the machine off the mains.

I've been told to get a pure sine wave inverter, a car battery and a car battery charger. Then, I will have everything I need to run the bowling machine without mains.

There is a lot of choice for those 3 things. Is there anything I need to bear in mind when buying each?

Also, how might I be able to work out how long the bowling machine will run for?

Sorry about your predicament JimJim, but it begs a question, why didn't you research this before shelling out on an expensive piece of kit, not trying to be a smart arse.

Sorry about your predicament JimJim, but it begs a question, why didn't you research this before shelling out on an expensive piece of kit, not trying to be a smart arse.

Not exactly helpful, but if you're curious it's because on match days there is a generator at the ground. Worst case scenario is we only use it on Saturdays when we run it off that, which I am okay with.

I was and am still hopeful, that there is a solution for running it without the generator the rest of the time. If it turns out I can't "oh well", if it turns out I can it's a bonus. There will be a way.

Not exactly helpful, but if you're curious it's because on match days there is a generator at the ground. Worst case scenario is we only use it on Saturdays when we run it off that, which I am okay with.

I was and am still hopeful, that there is a solution for running it without the generator the rest of the time. If it turns out I can't "oh well", if it turns out I can it's a bonus. There will be a way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-tKwPN8zdlk

See about 50 seconds in ...

Hi,

Could you not just buy a small genny?? I could get a silent running petrol one for £100 on ebay....

Sanli GS720 Portable Petrol Generator 2 Stroke 720W/ 63cc RRP £149.99 SAVE £50 | eBay

Could you not just buy a small genny?? I could get a silent running petrol one for £100 on ebay....

Sanli GS720 Portable Petrol Generator 2 Stroke 720W/ 63cc RRP £149.99 SAVE £50 | eBay

That's really helpful, thanks.

What are the benefits of something like this over a sine wave inverter - battery fix? And how would I work out how much petrol I'd go through running the machine? I'm going to guess re-filling this with petrol is more expensive in the long run than charging a battery.

That's really helpful, thanks.

What are the benefits of something like this over a sine wave inverter - battery fix? And how would I work out how much petrol I'd go through running the machine? I'm going to guess re-filling this with petrol is more expensive in the long run than charging a battery.

The benefits are that you don't have to mess about with sharging the battery, having more than one lump of kit etc.

From the ebay details, 2.6 litres of petrol asts at least 4 hours, which will be on full demand from the cricket ball machine....thats about £3.

What if it's raining, which is more robust...or is that first drop of rain make it tea-time :)

I think its more about convienience and ease of recharging mid-practice...anyway, over to you :)

Hi dude,you need to find out if there are any electronics on your bowling machine,that are in need of a "clean" supply,if not,it will probably have the same demands as,say,a large carousel clay pigeon launcher.

These function well,powered by large deep cycle commercial batteries. You will have some losses powering yours through a suitably sized inverter,but may still do your job.

As for the generator idea,run it past your groundsman,as he WILL have issues with all and sundry,splashing petrol into a genny,on his hallowed ground....they do not respond to abstract,dead grass patterns,everywhere your genny has sat,and if you are running leads about,you can run one to the club-house...

As for the cheap Chinese genny idea....buy yourself a 2 year old hamster...you'll have the same problems,but at a fraction of the cost :icon12:

Reply to Cricket Bowling Machine Power Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net