Discuss CU Bargains in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Electricfix have an offer on at the mo: BG CU, split load with 1x80A (30mA) RCD + 8 MCBs (2x6A, 2x16A, 3x32A, 1x40A) and 2 RCBO's (6A, 32A). £50+VAT!

1shortcircuit

B&Q were doing them for a fifty including and they have loads in stock all of the time ;)

:thumbsup

**** Ignore me, just noticed the RCBO part ****

OP
T

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
B&Q were doing them for a fifty including and they have loads in stock all of the time ;)

:thumbsup
Now you tell me, I've just placed an order :) Too wide for one job (limited space).

Edit: just checked, the B&Q ones are dual RCD (not my preferred approach).

Last edited:

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Electricfix have an offer on at the mo: BG CU, split load with 1x80A (30mA) RCD + 8 MCBs (2x6A, 2x16A, 3x32A, 1x40A) and 2 RCBO's (6A, 32A). £50+VAT!
Seems decent enough but I would prefer it with another RCD just to split them circuits down a little more.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
the b&q units are dual RCD, 10 MCBs, and hi-integrity so you can fit RCBOs if you want.

OP
T

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Seems decent enough but I would prefer it with another RCD just to split them circuits down a little more.
Yep, horses for courses mate. This is replacing one of the old 6 way 3036's (only one ring currently etc, etc).

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Yep, horses for courses mate. This is replacing one of the old 6 way 3036's (only one ring currently etc, etc).
Very true, not one install is the same as another. Shame they don't do a selection pack where you can pick and choose MCB/RCD/RCBO for a set price.

B

beaver74

also the B+Q i use has loads of board kits , but there is not a breaker or RCBO to be seen

imago

Electrician's Arms
CEF are doing the Hager 10 way with a pick'n'mix of ten breakers for just £18:00 more. £18:00 well spent IMHO.

nickblake

Solar Guru
Well i have to say these boards are not bad the casing is quite strong and in all fairness not a bad budget board , now i have 2 gripes with these boards one is the amount of exposed metal on the neutral cables , bit of heat shrink sleeve wouldnt go a miss then as with almost every board the untidy internal wiring ,makes wiring a pig , it wouldnt take much to re rout the cables to make them a very good board for the money just my thoughts on themBG board 002.JPG

OP
T

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Useful Nick, cheers. Cable will be a bit tight for this one, so have ordered some topjobs and a din enclosure (just in case).

nickblake

Solar Guru
I always keep a couple of these on the shelf for emergencies and for use in rented properties there is plenty of space in them as you can see its just them dam link wires really bugs me so easy do do them neatly and give plenty of room within the board

imago

Electrician's Arms
now i have 2 gripes with these boards one is the amount of exposed metal on the neutral cables , bit of heat shrink sleeve wouldnt go a miss then as with almost every board the untidy internal wiring ,makes wiring a pig , it wouldnt take much to re rout the cables to make them a very good board for the money
That's true of most if not all boards, so I wouldn't knock them for that. I like/us the hager boards partly due to familiarity, partly due to reliability, and partly because I have spares and breakers etc for them. They suffer from exactly the same faults as you describe though. Still, I suppose all the manufacturers figure that they needn't spend time and money on finishing the cabling when they know we will do it for free.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
that's 1 good thing about the chint boards. solid tails to RCDs. with these BG boards, i usually remove the tails then refit after wiring up.

OP
T

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
That's no good you need a low integrity one!

D

DurhamSparky

chint = fire....!!

hate them with passion.... plastic din rail, cheapy feel....

nickblake

Solar Guru
low intelegent sheep more like , they all are lol , well as you guys know i like my boards neat and do them neat im installing one of these boards either this week or a few weeks time so ill take some pics and post them up

Amp David

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Exposed metal on the neutrals, MK do exactly the same. Does it matter, the entire neutral bar is exposed

OP
T

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
The model that's arrived (CUSLP18012-XD) has two spare ways in addition to the MCB/RCBO mix, so is a true 12 way (in addition to the main incommer and RCD). Not an HI unit like the B&Q advertised dual RCD one though.

First impression is that it feels more sturdy than my usual choice of MK. Space for an extra neutral bar (if needed), would take an 8 way extension bar. Sturdy busbar cover with a nice positive fit (not likely to move about when fitting the cover on!).

As Nick said plenty of space. I can see what's meant about the neutral tails, they have an abnormally long prong on the ferrule (as said not a huge issue, just makes it look odd).

IMG_0235[1].jpgIMG_0234[1].jpg

nickblake

Solar Guru
I fully agree with you amp David how ever it would not take or cost much to heatshrink the lugs thus reducing any possability of shorts you look how tight the RCBO,s are to the exposed neutral lugs perhaps im just being a fussy old fart i dont know

ExArmy

Electrician's Arms
fitted a B&G bord today, 3-4 screws in the earth bar were all so tight i could barely get them in without rounding the screws off! tempted to start buying another make of board, any reccomendations? my local senate are selling sector ones with free LED worklights, apparently they are made by wylex?

OP
T

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Hager still amonst the best it would seem. Crabtree and Wylex still OK. Not sure about Schneider as I've only used their shower units. As mentioned MK not as good anymore (but still not too bad).

nickblake

Solar Guru
schneiderformerly Square D are ok but expensive and the rcbo's have stupid curly neutral leads , which are a pain in the butt, ex army the Sector ones are made by electrium who also make volex crabtree newlec wylex , MK are no better than proelec which is a cheap CDU ive not used Hagar the crabtree starbreakers are a cracking board although one of the RCD's in the dual RCD board covers 3 moduels

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
i like the starbreaker board, nick, but the only thing against it is it's inflexibility as regards you're not able to vary the layout.

1shortcircuit

fitted a B&G bord today, 3-4 screws in the earth bar were all so tight i could barely get them in without rounding the screws off! tempted to start buying another make of board, any reccomendations? my local senate are selling sector ones with free LED worklights, apparently they are made by wylex?
You need to show it some love, talk nicely to it and gently fondle it's screw area lol

I have found that some of the screw threads can be tight and the heads weak but Tel has pointed out a link to a proper consumer unit TERMINATOR in a previous post (or thread?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.5%

Electrician Talk