Discuss current leakage to earthing line in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
can some one help me with this problem?
I have one spike guard which has only neutral and line wires. but the sockets on the spike guard are 3 pin, the problem I am facing is that : I am getting current into my earthing line, I have got shocked many times from chargers, fridge surfaces, etc.
I am pretty sure that, there might be problem in the spike guard or in some device?

Nor me - turns out to be eg a multiway socket with surge protection:
https://www.amazon.in/Anchor-Panasonic-22047-Plastic-Socket/dp/B00H7BC1PC
(or the phrase for "surge protection")

sounds like the various supression capacitors in the several loads are conspiring to pull the common earth up to many volts, but the earth is not connected to anything. This is not safe! Would seem essential to connect the earth pins to ground. Does your socket strip have a two pin plug on it!?

Last edited:
Hiren
It is possible one of your appliances has an earth leakage problem, but with your socket strip you have connected its ground wire to all the other appliances protective earth (but nothing else), so instead of just the faulty appliance, they are now all 'live'.
If you plug in one at a time you might be able to find out which has the major ground leakage, preferably by getting an electrician with the appropriate test equipment to measure it.
If there is no faulty appliance, it is due to the fact your socket strip has no ground connection - which it surely should have. Can you use a different one?

I think the first thing I would do is use just one known good device and move it along the gang to see if there is one where the leak appears or whether it makes no difference. If you know the device is sound then it has got to be an internal short. Right? Might even be the switch. Other than that I guess you just need to open it up.

I have proper earthing to my house, I still don't understand how am i getting current from the earthing line? I have tested it with the tester, I am getting current from earthing line.

I have proper earthing to my house, I still don't understand how am i getting current from the earthing line? I have tested it with the tester, I am getting current from earthing line.
That's the route that the current takes when you get an internal short in a device. The current should only travel into the device via the line and return to the CU via the neutral. If it should happen to find its way to the earthed parts of the device then it will, in part, make its way back to the CU via the earth cable. There is also a possibility that the insulation between the installation cables is deteriorating and leaking which could mean that the circuit needs rewiring. If you are measuring the current at the CU then that's a possibility.

I think this is happening due to faulty UPS machine, I can literally feel current at its earthing pole(in its plug, the third one at the top). Can someone please tell me why is this happening, I still can not understand, The earthing is faulty or the UPS machine?

You need to check earth loop impedance or at very least a resistance check from main earth terminal to earth pin at socket you are plugged the ups into.

What you have there is potentially lethal if left as is.
Stop guessing at it and for your sake, stop using your finger to check if there is a voltage at the earth pin.

DANGER
BODY PARTS ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR MEASURING VOLTAGES.
DANGER

Reply to current leakage to earthing line in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net