Discuss Fridge causing problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been having issues with our fridge causing my modem and video card on my pc to drop out.

-They are on the same ring circuit, have been for years with zero problems. The problem has been happening the last few weeks when the fridge compressor cuts out, It might blink a little on startup.
-Our fridge is only 160w but obviously motors can spike the current on startup
-I have checked all the sockets on the ring to ensure the ring continuity.
-Checked the plugs and fuses not loose
-Our CU has an SPD ( still green) protecting the supply.

Fixing Fridge, is this likely the starter capacitor causing problems or thermostat?

Will a surge protector on the fridge plug , pc plug or both help?

Any other advice welcome

I would start by testing the electrical circuit, a high impedance connection somewhere on the ring circuit could cause your symptoms. You'll need an electrician with a multifunction tester I'm afraid, they're not the kinds of tests you can do with a DIY multimeter unfortunately.

I would start by testing the electrical circuit, a high impedance connection somewhere on the ring circuit could cause your symptoms. You'll need an electrician with a multifunction tester I'm afraid, they're not the kinds of tests you can do with a DIY multimeter unfortunately.
Already done and the ring is fine. That was my first thought as I have seen it before where the brass screws loosen

Last edited:
I would check your PC power supply. If it is a desktop unit you can change that for a modest cost and you might find the problems go away.

I my own experience over half of hardware faults on PCs come down to poor or dying PSU!

EDIT: I am assuming all of your PC-related hardware is plugged in to a single multi-way block?

Is the monitor, etc, all on to the same circuit?
Yes, i have 3 double wall sockets on the same circuit. When the fridge compressor starts its causing the video card to do some over volt under protection, the fans stop and restart..... Very bad i guess for my video card.
Its only a small fridge, i know in the past my garage compressor started tripping it was the starter capacitor?

Yes, i have 3 double wall sockets on the same circuit. When the fridge compressor starts its causing the video card to do some over volt under protection, the fans stop and restart..... Very bad i guess for my video card.
Its only a small fridge, i know in the past my garage compressor started tripping it was the starter capacitor?
It might be the fridge failing in some way, but it is possibly cheaper to try a new PC power supply first.

Understanding the Problem:

It sounds like your fridge's compressor is creating electrical interference when it kicks in, causing drops in your modem and video card performance. Let's break down the possible issues:

• Inrush Current: Motors, like the one in your fridge compressor, draw a high surge of current (inrush current) when they start. This can temporarily strain the circuit, causing voltage dips that affect sensitive electronics.
  • Electromagnetic Interference (EMI): Motors and their switching mechanisms generate EMI. Inadequate shielding in your fridge or other devices could be making them susceptible.
Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Dedicated Circuit (Best Option): If possible, have an electrician install a dedicated circuit for your modem and PC. This isolates them from the high-demand appliance.
  2. Surge Protector: A quality surge protector at the fridge's outlet can help mitigate power spikes. Get one designed for appliances. A surge protector on your PC might offer additional protection.
  3. Inspect Fridge Components:
    • Starter Capacitor: A failing capacitor can lead to excessive startup current. If you're comfortable with electrical work, inspect it for bulging or leaking.
    • Thermostat: A faulty thermostat might cause the compressor to cycle on and off too frequently, worsening the issue.
  4. Check Grounding: Ensure your outlets and appliances are properly grounded. Poor grounding can make EMI problems worse.
Additional Considerations:

• Line Conditioner: More expensive than a surge protector, a line conditioner actively regulates voltage, further protecting your equipment.
  • Ferrite Beads: Clip-on ferrite beads around your PC and modem power cables can help suppress high-frequency EMI.

Reply to Fridge causing problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net