Discuss Danfoss 3ph motor inverter causing hot cables. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Crustycracker

At my site I have 3 x Danfoss VLT6000 motor inverters for our pumps. The MCB's have always been warm to touch and as they were put in by a contractor before I came to site I assumed it must be correct.
As late the 25A rated 3 pole MCB's were detected by a thermal image survey as being too hot. I investigated this further. I found each MCB casing had become slightly brittle and brown at the sides and also the 6mm singles at the terminal ends and up to 3" out had brittle insulation. I did a clamp test and each circuit was carrying around 23A on full load. Although the inverter display told me 27A. I had the singles replaced, max. 8mt run in steel 3" trunking. I replaced the first two MCB's with 32A MCB's thinking that the old 25A's where probably a bit close to the mark. During the replacement of the second set of pump cables I noticed that the new 32A MCB was running just as hot. I rechecked the current in the singles cables which was still about 23A. Absolutely puzzled I contacted Danfoss on this problem. I was pointed to a page on their web site about installation of the inverters. The installation at my site was miles away from what Danfoss installation instructions required. Danfoss siad use screened cable and also use cartridge fuses. I had singles in trunking, although no overcrowding whatsoever, and MCB's. The guy at Danfoss did his utmost to explain to me what he believed to be the problem mentioning harmonics, cable resistance even low currents, etc. etc. It was over my head I'm afraid. Shortly after I contacted Merlin Gerin (what a nightmare that was, I hate Schneider, they are like Tesco's...too big and fat). A helpful chap said that in his experience MCB's can run warm without a problem but I couldn't specify the temperature of mine at that point. But I have since checked....MCB's old and new ones are running at 51 degrees and cable temp along entire length is about 35 degrees. I am certainly unhappy with this. I have left the trunking lid off for now and the MCB's have plenty of space around them in the D/B.
I am at a loss at how to tackle this so am looking for another bright spark who may have installed the same or similar in the past and has had the same issues. I have never installed inverters myself in my years but have maintained sites with them in use. Even now I am not that familiar with them apart from knowing that they can save energy.
Any thoughts anybody???

:confused:

Benji, the 6mm singles are used to supply from the MCB to the inverter and they are also used from the inverter to the pump isolator and then the motor.

Hey up Crustycracker

A decent description of problem... good detail.

Am I correct in saying you have three units of 3ph 415vac input?

What exact model of the 6000 series is it and what size motor are you feeding?

Is each inverter feeding one motor only, no multi motor situation?

Steve... great minds I'd say... I'm happy to call it a draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, thanks for the quick replies. Especially on a Friday afternoon when most of us are glazed over after a long week.

The model details; VLT 6022HT 4C545TR 3DLT 00A00C0

The writing is rather small on the plate so where I have written 0 it could be an O (oh).

silva.fox maybe your ears were burning, I was on one of your threads about 20 mins ago wondering if the answer was in there.

I have to shoot off now got to check and feed my livestock. I'm back in work tomorrow so I'll pick up and replies then.

Thankyou all again. :)

That's quite a biggy!

A max output current of 32A therefore the input needs to be capable of supplying this. The input requirement is typically greater than the output.

There is usually a sticker on the top or side of the VLT stating the desired input current. Have you seen it?

What size cables feed the MCBs?

Quick...before you go...

I worked for a very large soft drinks company once, i can't name names, but it is the real thing alledgedly. When we had problems with overheating electricals like yours and in cabinets, their solution was to put cooling fans in the cabinets. This doesn't cure the disease, but it cures the symptom, and it was cheap. One day hopefully the place will burn down and than i can tell the clown of an Engineering manager, "I Told you so ar****le.

Cheers...........howard

ive just finished a job where we installled 2x 15kw pumps, on VSD's.
We had to use armoured cable, and the SWA, had to be glanded as close as possible to the drive. We used the 4th core as earth, and ran a seperate CPC also. I think this was to do with trying to reduce harmonics.
If anybody can explain how to reduce harmonics, and the reasoning behind it, i would be grateful.

Thanks,

John

I'm thinking along the lines of further uprating the feed, depending on the size of feed to the MCBs.
10 or 16mm2 on a C40A MCB with an increase of CPC too.

Are these motors greater than 15kw?

This smacks of a problem with harmonics. Drives of this size should have in line reactors to stop harmonics. Armoured / screened cables will also help.

Pump details;

Armstrong Starline 80-200-15 (15kw). New replacement MCB's are 32A. But current, and I measured it Friday, is only about 23A.

Johnboy, sounds like you are using the same inverters as I have here. Your description also sounds like you have read the installation manual and the idiots that installed this kit back in 2007 didn't.
I'm afraid I don't understand harmonics, its a science, did it at college back in the early 80's and glazed over then. Like everything in our trade if you don't use it the knowledge evaporates away and the memory space is taken up by more interesting stuff like women, price of beer, etc. etc.

Out of interest, what breakers did you use?? Can you feel if they are warn/ hot if they are MCB's?? The instructions recommend cartridge type.A Bussman coded is KTS-R40 which are the 22mm x 58mm cylinder type. As I have an existing Merlin G dist. bd. I'm double stuffed because MG don't have a retro fit STI isilatable fuse carrier that will fit in the board.

Thankyou to all for your replies by the way.

the vsd's we used were seimens. i didnt read the instructions, im working for a large contractor, with an engineer to ring regarding any problems. drives were incorporated into a motor control centre, i just did the field wiring, and connected to panel, and tested.
For a 15kw motor, we had 50A bs88-2, and the cables feeding the motor were 10mm2. pumps havent been fully commisioned yet, so havent been able to measure FLA.

SF - I have a phot of the spec. plate on the side of the inverter unit. I am trying to get it attached but not sure if it will work. Never done it before so here goes....

Danfoss Inverter Info plate.jpg

IN: 3x380-460V 50/60Hz 32A 27A

3ph 415v 50Hz input with a max. current of 32A

You must admit a 32A mcb is a little near the mark for this supply. All the heat is centred around this mcb, ie. device and cable, perhaps due to 'current restriction through the tight passage of the mcb!'

I'd still go for the mcb and feed cable upgrade...

What do you have upstream of the mcb?

SF - The 32A MCB is part of a Merlin G dist bd. Down stream of that is obviously the main switch which is fed in something like 120mm singles from an adjacent Asco change-over switch which is fed from a BS88 type fuse carrier in the main mechanical services panel from 2 seperate feeds (A & B).
Thing is tho' if the cable is only carrying about 23A, tong tested, why the heat???? It must be something to do with the harmonics. Altho Danfoss recommend the use of SWA or SY cable and cartridge fuses they don't make it clear what would happen if you don't.
I am getting costs for the SY on Monday. I have to get this problem tied up next week, have all the managers doing a site walkabout the week after so I need to get all the trunk lids and covers back.
I may use them link blocks (MGTB1001) and put an extra cartridge fuse for each pump also.
I wish I had an open check book for this because I still prefer using the existing metal trunking for this and the Kopex as it looks more in keeping with the pump bay. Its going to be a real pain in the rear side having to run in a seperate route for 3 new surface mounted cables. Plus I am quite limited on wall space for mounting this extra stuff.

Reply to Danfoss 3ph motor inverter causing hot cables. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net