Discuss Dimmable LED Spots fault? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

I have a query regarding a fault with some LED spotlights.

I fitted several Aurora dimmable spot lights which were controlled by standard 2 way switches.

They worked absolutely fine. I recently replaced one of the switched with a standard dimmer switch. The lights dimmed fine and switched on/off fine.

Later that day, one of the spots stopped working and later that evening they all stopped.

I thought maybe the lights didn't agree with a normal dimmer and required a Varilight LED dimmer switch. I replaced the dimmer switch back to the original standard switch. Still neither light worked!

All lights have supply to them but do not work.

Could a standard dimmer of caused all of these to stop working in such a small amount of time? Possible a faulty batch of spots? My understanding was that the on board led drivers in the spots had protection. I'm aware that some dimmers cause flickering or inconsistent dimmer but never heard of them killing them!

I'm going to send them back but wondering if anyone else had experienced this before.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've only 'experimented' once with some Led gu10 lamps, using leading edge dimmer. The lamps turned on, but did not dim. But I never left them on, for more than a few moments.

Manufacturers of 'sealed' type Led downlights recommend specific dimmers, that are compatible with their products, and even some of them do not function very well. The individual led spot lamps; not all manufacturers have a compatibility list of dimmers. Guess you get what you pay for in terms of support. Perhaps you've found another reason to check compatibility before installing. Someone will for sure come along with the reason why your lamps have failed. Just wonder what questions your going to be asked when your try to replace them.

Out of interest, what models/type are their?

I've only 'experimented' once with some Led gu10 lamps, using leading edge dimmer. The lamps turned on, but did not dim. But I never left them on, for more than a few moments.

Manufacturers of 'sealed' type Led downlights recommend specific dimmers, that are compatible with their products, and even some of them do not function very well. The individual led spot lamps; not all manufacturers have a compatibility list of dimmers. Guess you get what you pay for in terms of support. Perhaps you've found another reason to check compatibility before installing. Someone will for sure come along with the reason why your lamps have failed. Just wonder what questions your going to be asked when your try to replace them.

Out of interest, what models/type are their?

Aurora M5 downlights mate. The dimmer was a click mode dimmer.

Reply to Dimmable LED Spots fault? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net