Search the forum,

Discuss Dimmer Switches for Fluorescent Lighting in dental practice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Poorle

Hi, A customer has 2 fluorescent lamps and a single gang light switch at the moment but he wants to change the switch to a dimmer switch.

Will check whether the tubes are compatible with dimmer switches but what I want to know is whether there are any purpose made dimmer controls for fluorescent lights?

Hi, A customer has 2 fluorescent lamps and a single gang light switch at the moment but he wants to change the switch to a dimmer switch.

Will check whether the tubes are compatible with dimmer switches but what I want to know is whether there are any purpose made dimmer controls for fluorescent lights?

Emm in a word No you cannot do it unless you have special control gear look at it this way standard energy saving lamps are basically fluorescent lights but put them in a room where a dimmer is fitted and it wont work and the dimmer will eventually burn out

Emm in a word No you cannot do it unless you have special control gear look at it this way standard energy saving lamps are basically fluorescent lights but put them in a room where a dimmer is fitted and it wont work and the dimmer will eventually burn out

That was my next question. I've heard of some types of control gear for compact fluorescents but not sure whether these would work on normal florries.

I think I may have to install a separate lighting circuit in that room and put new dimmer next to existing light switch but could look cluttered with anymore lights.. hmm

There as some special CFL that can be dimmed but as I said you need special control gear that cost wise is out of the domestic market

Reply to Dimmer Switches for Fluorescent Lighting in dental practice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net