Search the forum,

Discuss Dimming in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

james king

landing/hall way lighting

LED strip being fitted and 3 down lights.

down lights are dimmable but the LED strip isn't. all fitting have to be controlled via the 2 way switch and needs to be turned on at the same time.

Does anyone know of a way it would be possible to dim the down lights but leave the LED strip with 240V?

Could mount a dimmer in the loft so they could preset it?

Seperate switches, 2 lighting circuits?

Edit: Why didn't you point out how "impossible" this is when you were with the client?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are dimmers on the market that have a second switched live non dimmed output.

However I've no idea if they are compatible with your led's

Daft yes....but it could be done with standard 2 way switching operating all lights, and then run the downlights only through a dimmer connected on the switched live.
User confusion guaranteed.

Daft yes....but it could be done with standard 2 way switching operating all lights, and then run the downlights only through a dimmer connected on the switched live.
User confusion guaranteed.

Me thinks the OP doesn't want to change the existing switching!

Yes. And it's easy. From just one switch, I assume?

Am I being particularly dense?

I thought the idea of a dimmer was to enable the light level to be set conveniently. Climbing in to the loft doesn’t sound convenient to me

Buying the correct sized lamps is probably far too easy.

have a look how it is wired up. if both lights are wired on one cable going down to the switch then is a dimmer in the loft job. or a remote dimmer.
if there is separate line going to each light then is possible to do... leave two way for the whole lot and dim only the spots... standard two way switch on one end and a double switch/dimmer 2 gang combination on another.

Most LED strips are dimmable, it is more down to the driver and dimmer. If the LED strip came with a non-dimmable driver, try changing it for a dimmable driver. If it is RGB strip, you will need an RGB dimmer.

Reply to Dimming in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net