Discuss Disconnection times, some clarification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

goasis

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Evening, just revising for 18th update course and wondered if someone can just clarify something. (I might just be confusing myself, too long staring at the BBB)
Reg 411.3.2.2 ii) does that also include luminaries?
I understand 411.3.4 applies. Do notes 1 & 2 of 411.4.4 mean that the use of an rcd negates the need for a specific disconnection time?

Ta all

Evening, just revising for 18th update course and wondered if someone can just clarify something. (I might just be confusing myself, too long staring at the BBB)
Reg 411.3.2.2 ii) does that also include luminaries?
I understand 411.3.4 applies. Do notes 1 & 2 of 411.4.4 mean that the use of an rcd negates the need for a specific disconnection time?

Ta all
Yes 411.3.2.2 ii) includes circuits that supply luminaires.
Asking if a regulation about circuit disconnection time applies to light fittings is a bit like asking if the price of eggs includes fluffy bunny rabbits!

Correct, a circuit containing luminaries in a domestic premises must comply with 411.3.4

Notes 1 and 2 of 411.4.4 mean that the required characteristics of RCDs as specified in their product standards are such that at high fault currents to earth the RCD will trip in less than the minimum time specified for TN systems in table 41.1, therefore the circuit will disconnect fast enough if protected by an RCD.
This does not remove the requirement for the circuit to disconnect in the times specified, just that compliance with the times will be met by RCD protection, by nature of their operating characteristics.

Reply to Disconnection times, some clarification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views
I've started to move over to AMD 2 forms for my CU installs, if only because the schedule is so much easier to tick and I can stop sticking labels...
Replies
Views
In addition to the 4 main, well known competent persons schemes (NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT and STROMA), there is apparently another, lesser known...
Replies
Views
18th Edition Training Course - Online with Offline Final Exam Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671: 2018...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 26818
D
Thought this might be of interest and use to anyone looking to undertake the various short training courses. So here is my recent experience -...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock