Discuss dispute over unexplained "extra work" charge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How can thete be callout charges on a £9.5k job?

So when the carpenters were installing the fitted wardrobes, he needed to send out a guy the same day as they were there, to connect the wardrobe LED connections. Also we had a dimming module that had to be changed, again had to send out a guy to do that. I think thats what is meant by one off call out charges, might be wrong.

But all of this could have been established in a contract prior to start, which obviously I failed to get, so I suppose lesson learnt.

So when the carpenters were installing the fitted wardrobes, he needed to send out a guy the same day as they were there, to connect the wardrobe LED connections. Also we had a dimming module that had to be changed, again had to send out a guy to do that. I think thats what is meant by one off call out charges, might be wrong.

But all of this could have been established in a contract prior to start, which obviously I failed to get, so I suppose lesson learnt.

They must have had prior warning of when the carpenters were going to be fitting the wardrobes and when the electrician would be needed? Or did nobody think to tell the electrician until the day they were needed?

Replacing a faulty dimmer that they supplied and fitted is a warranty job, not a callout.

Based on 45 per point and how many points etc. What is the difference between the cost on that basis and the charge you have been asked for.

There were 156 points total, but need to add to that supply and install of consumer unit and some sundry materials like CAT7 cables.

RE a Cat6 or 7 cable, on a per point payment plan, at £45 a point, as it had to be terminated with RJ45 at each end, was charged £90 labour only per cable. Does that seem fair or is that a bit of a liberty? Seems a bit off that one terminated internet cable should cost twice the cost of a double socket.

Anyway, I think we've sorted it now, we've agreed on a final amount to be paid on being handed certificate.

If the Db supply and fit cost cost was never in the per point price and he installed some cat 6 cabling as well think £600 sounds reasonable for extras

Hi, hoping to seek advice from this forum re a potential dispute between me as private individual homeowner and my electrician. We agreed a £45+VAT charge per point system for a total refub of a 2 bed flat London. I have the points/work list fully itimised and that has been verified by the electrician, including amendments, small changes such as cables run but not connected etc.

The dispute is that following this itimised list there is a mysterious extra charge of £700 + VAT for "extra work".

I asked what this extra work was and if he could itimise and explain it. In reply I received a somewhat angry but vague reply, stating something that he helped install our kitchen and bathroom (he didn't have any part in that work) and moving the location of one or two sockets. I don't think moving a socket by a few inches can justify a charge of £840.

Anyway we still haven't got our build control completion certificates, the job was finished in mid Feb so way over 30 days ago. My final email tonight was that if he cannot reasonably explain or itimise what these extra charges were for we could not pay them. Therefore I think he will withhold certification, so I've asked him what CPS scheme he is with in prepartion for a dispute.

But if anyone could provide some advice, what would my next step be? Surely I can't just pay him £840 in the blind, without knowing what this charge is for?
It's simple really and it doesn't matter whether it is an electrician or any other service provider. If you have agreed a level of service through a signed contract then what you are liable for is the work that is agreed within the four corners of that contract and he does not have the legal right to unilaterally deviate from that contract without your signed agreement. No more, in fact, than you have the right to tag addition requirements on to his workload without his agreement. He is obliged to discuss any additional works with you and both parties have to agree if a contract is to be amended. So unless there is something in the contract that says you agreed to give him the power to make such decisions unilaterally then you are not obliged to pay it. That would be tantamount to an open contract. That's a lot of money.

It's simple really and it doesn't matter whether it is an electrician or any other service provider. If you have agreed a level of service through a signed contract then what you are liable for is the work that is agreed within the four corners of that contract and he does not have the legal right to unilaterally deviate from that contract without your signed agreement. No more, in fact, than you have the right to tag addition requirements on to his workload without his agreement. He is obliged to discuss any additional works with you and both parties have to agree if a contract is to be amended. So unless there is something in the contract that says you agreed to give him the power to make such decisions unilaterally then you are not obliged to pay it. That would be tantamount to an open contract. That's a lot of money.

Thanks, but there was no contract, nothing was signed by either of us

Thanks, but there was no contract, nothing was signed by either of us
Hmmm. That actually makes it more difficult because you are now in the realms of he said / he said. Verbal agreements do carry some weight but, unfortunately, are highly subject to "understanding" and interpretation. Which is why a written contract is important if you are dealing with large volumes of work and 156 points does seem pretty involved. Lessons should be learned. It's actually something the service provider should insist on too. It can go the other way. But I guess in this case it's your word against his. Anything written down would help. Text messages etc.

Reply to dispute over unexplained "extra work" charge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net