Discuss DIY loft light advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Baz1974

DIY
Reaction score
First post so go easy on me.
i am a competent DIY’er, just after some advice. Apologise if the terminology isn’t spot on!
my house was rewired two years ago, a loft light was put in, but I need an additional light in there as I use it for lots of storage. I’ve looked at adding an extra light off the ceiling rose, but when researching the wiring all I’ve seen shows a switch wire and a supply wire going into the existing rose (with another cable going out to the next rose).
I’ve only got one cable going into my rose (from the switch) is this the switch/supply? I’ve attached pics of the rose and the switch if that helps.
DIY loft light advice. IMG_2822 - EletriciansForums.netDIY loft light advice. IMG_2821 - EletriciansForums.net

The rose has a switched line and a neutral.
The switch has a permanent line, a switched line, and a neutral (and of course earth connections in both).

If you want to add a light that comes on at the same time as the existing light, just add a 1mm² twin and earth cable from the rose to the new light.

Or if you want to have a separate switch for the additional light, change the switch to a 2 gang switch, and run a new 1mm² twin and earth cable from the switch position (connecting the neutral to the neutral connector block and the line to the switched output of the second switch), you will also need to use a short piece of brown wire to link the two commons in the new switch.

sorry, unscrewed the rose to get a better look.
actually thinking I might use the existing wiring and put a “baton” type light in instead as it’ll give off more light and a straight forward wiring job.

Reply to DIY loft light advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock