Discuss Do you need to be CPS member to do EICR ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This question has been raised several times in the past, I thought it was now a requirement, but there still seems to be some confusion in the industry, or at least with me.
18th Edition now says you need to be skilled to complete EICR, but that does not make CPS a requirement.
NICEIC says only registered electricians should complete EICR. https://www.excel-elec.co.uk/images/docs/checked-electrics.pdf
Even if regulation does not require membership, I should have thought your PI insurance would require it.

For what its worth, I think membership should be a requirement, otherwise, how does anyone know you are skilled.

Does anyone have any definitive documentation?

The NICEIC wording only says "should" and not "must". And of course they're going to push for registration because it means more income for them.
We all know from posts on this forum that registration with a CPS scheme is certainly no guarantee that the electrician will be competent or reliable or will do a good job.
On the other hand, since the introduction of the 2020 PRS legislation, landlords and letting agents are being steered towards using only electricians that are registered, not only with CPS, but also specifically to carry out EICRs.

So in answer to your question, yes and no. Or maybe.

There are no requirements for you to be a scheme member to carry out EICRs. But as in #4 there may be guide lines or client requirements which require scheme membership.

The 2020 PRS legislation says "qualified person” means a person competent to undertake the inspection and testing required under regulation 3(1) and any further investigative or remedial work in accordance with the electrical safety standards;"

I think the use of the highlighted "and" is very important. My reading is the qualified person needs to be competent to do the EICR and remedial work. This could be a consumer unit. So to replace the Consumer unit you must be a members of CPS. Therefore, a qualified person must be a member of a CPS?

My reading is the qualified person needs to be competent to This could be a consumer unit. So to replace the Consumer unit you must be a members of CPS. Therefore, a qualified person must be a member of a CPS?

Not if you notify direct and pay the L.A you don't.
Therefore to do EICR you don't have to be a member of a CPS.

18th Edition now says you need to be skilled to complete EICR, but that does not make CPS a requirement

The 2020 PRS legislation says "qualified person” means a person competent to undertake the inspection and testing required
So what should it be skilled or qualified or both.
The question then is what is skilled and / or qualified and / or competent
NICEIC says only registered electricians should complete EICR. https://www.excel-elec.co.uk/images/docs/checked-electrics.pdf
Even if regulation does not require membership, I should have thought your PI insurance would require it.
Of course the NICEIC are going to say that it's another 500 quid in the bank
I would think any insurance company would be stupid to accept membership of any scheme is some sort of reassurance that an EICR is properly carried out, they would be better asking to see the operatives qualifications and level of experience
For what its worth, I think membership should be a requirement, otherwise, how does anyone know you are skilled.
So exactly how does scheme membership prove the breath of skill and knowledge an operative or company has
I think the use of the highlighted "and" is very important. My reading is the qualified person needs to be competent to do the EICR and remedial work. This could be a consumer unit. So to replace the Consumer unit you must be a members of CPS. Therefore, a qualified person must be a member of a CPS?
You keep on mixing skilled and competent, anybody who is capable of using a screwdriver could claim to be competent
I might be corrected but I don't know of any CPS that specifically assesses the ability of an operative to carry out an EICR and judging by some of the EICR's that have been posted on here recently and some EICR's I have been asked to review in the last few months NICEIC membership is no guarantee of a properly conducted EICR

There are too many now walking into the industry with the most basic of basic qualifications and joining a CPS and think they know it all, the 2391 has become a totally meaningless qualification there was a time when the course entry was 2 years post electrical qualification experience now you can walk off the street and a week later you have the qualification

So what should it be skilled or qualified or both.
The question then is what is skilled and / or qualified and / or competent

Of course the NICEIC are going to say that it's another 500 quid in the bank
I would think any insurance company would be stupid to accept membership of any scheme is some sort of reassurance that an EICR is properly carried out, they would be better asking to see the operatives qualifications and level of experience
Insurance company is not qualified to assess competence, this is job of CPS.
So exactly how does scheme membership prove the breath of skill and knowledge an operative or company has
My qualifications, experience are checked, along with my work and a Q&A session, by a qualified assessor.
You keep on mixing skilled and competent, anybody who is capable of using a screwdriver could claim to be competent
Not me, I'm using IET terminology when referencing IET, and PRS terminology when referencing them. I too wish we could all use the same terminology.
I might be corrected but I don't know of any CPS that specifically assesses the ability of an operative to carry out an EICR and judging by some of the EICR's that have been posted on here recently and some EICR's I have been asked to review in the last few months NICEIC membership is no guarantee of a properly conducted EICR
Stroma do, or at least my assessor does. He insists on seeing one and asks questions.
There are too many now walking into the industry with the most basic of basic qualifications and joining a CPS and think they know it all, the 2391 has become a totally meaningless qualification there was a time when the course entry was 2 years post electrical qualification experience now you can walk off the street and a week later you have the qualification

Insurance company is not qualified to assess competence, this is job of CPS.
Insurance companies have some very qualified people that could easily assess qualification and skill level
My qualifications, experience are checked, along with my work and a Q&A session, by a qualified assessor.
Been there and done that
Not me, I'm using IET terminology when referencing IET, and PRS terminology when referencing them. I too wish we could all use the same terminology.
I see you chose to use competence in the first qute
Stroma do, or at least my assessor does. He insists on seeing one and asks questions.
He may check your installation work, he may check your EICR paperwork but I doubt him wasting a number of hours onsite assessing you carrying out an EICR

This question has been raised several times in the past, I thought it was now a requirement, but there still seems to be some confusion in the industry, or at least with me.
18th Edition now says you need to be skilled to complete EICR, but that does not make CPS a requirement.

Does anyone have any definitive documentation?
From government guidance, part 5:

The electrical safety industry has established competent person schemes. Membership of these will not be compulsory to ensure there is no further pressure placed on the industry, nor undue burden placed on inspectors and testers.

From government guidance, part 5:

The electrical safety industry has established competent person schemes. Membership of these will not be compulsory to ensure there is no further pressure placed on the industry, nor undue burden placed on inspectors and testers.

Thanks, that answers the question, but blimey............................................

<SNIP>

How do I find a ‘qualified and competent person’ to carry out the test?​

Guidance has been produced by the electrical safety industry that covers how landlords can choose a qualified and competent inspector and tester. This includes, but is not limited to:

When commissioning an inspection, in order to establish if a person is qualified and competent landlords can:
  • check if the inspector is a member of a competent person scheme; or
  • require the inspector to sign a checklist certifying their competence, including their experience, whether they have adequate insurance and hold a qualification covering the current version of the Wiring Regulations and the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations.

How can you expect landlords to compile a checklist of what qualifications, experience and insurances are required. This is just ridiculous........

When commissioning an inspection, in order to establish if a person is qualified and competent landlords can:
  • check if the inspector is a member of a competent person scheme; or
  • require the inspector to sign a checklist certifying their competence, including their experience, whether they have adequate insurance and hold a qualification covering the current version of the Wiring Regulations and the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations.

How can you expect landlords to compile a checklist of what qualifications, experience and insurances are required. This is just ridiculous........

Which is what I alluded to in my earlier post about landlords being steered towards the schemes.

Reply to Do you need to be CPS member to do EICR ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net