Discuss Does this wiring look ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I will call them tomorrow but as the tiling starts tomorrow I'm not sure there much else I can do.
what you need to do is to stop the tiling untill the wiring has been sorted. politely inform the tiler that you are not happy with the wiring and he can't proceed till it's fixed safely. tell him that if he tiles over that mess, he's jointly liable for any injury or fire that may result. then he'll reoprt back and something might be done.

without being on site to see what is happening and what the plan is, it is difficult to comment.

however from the pictures you have provided it would appear that there are several things wrong with the installation.

these include connections that are to be permanently hidden that may not be suitable for the job.

cables that have been surface mounted but may well be plastered over have not been capped (covered to protect from damage caused by the reaction between plaster and pvc cable)

cables that have no secondary insulation ( it is not acceptable to have the brown and blue cores showing, it should be going into all the sockets etc. still covered by the grey outer sheaf)

I would ask the people who ordered the work to come and have a mid work appraisal of how things are going and follow this with an email or letter, detailing your concerns.
once they realise that there is a paper trail that can lead back to them, they will be more helpful in dealing with your concerns.

email is great, because you can add the pictures so there is no confusion.
Thank you for your time in writing this up.

I would be contacting your housing association about your concerns along with this photographic evidence. The level of work shown is appalling and dangerous.
I agree with what you say. It reminds me when I used to do electrical surveys years ago, in instances like above, I could never say to a customer that the installation was dangerous.
I had to say that it was hazardous. Apparently if we used the word dangerous, customers would ring and say that we were scaremongering!
Hazardous sounds much better!

cables that have been surface mounted but may well be plastered over have not been capped (covered to protect from damage caused by the reaction between plaster and pvc cable)

Capping is not required by the regulations, modern plaster does not react with PVC cables, I don't think this has ever been the case with a plastic insulated cable. Capping is used to prevent damage from metal plasterers trowels.
The use of capping or conduit is entirely by the choice of the installer or specifier.

No, plaster will react with pvc cables. It migrates the plasticiser from the pvc and makes it brittle.

GN1 4.7 page 76 materials likely to cause such attack include:
plaster coats containing corrosive salts
lime, cement and plaster
a few examples of this are:
plasticicers migrate to polystyrene from thermoplastic and also some types of plaster (see7.5 also)

No, plaster will react with pvc cables. It migrates the plasticiser from the pvc and makes it brittle.

No it doesn't, polystyrene and some other plastics, oils and similar chemicals can cause migration of the plasticiser, this is what causes old T&E clips to look like they have melted onto the cable.
[automerge]1581162067[/automerge]
GN1 4.7 page 76 materials likely to cause such attack include:
plaster coats containing corrosive salts
lime, cement and plaster
a few examples of this are:
plasticicers migrate to polystyrene from thermoplastic and also some types of plaster (see7.5 also)

Corrosive salts from plaster etc will attack metals, so (non galvanised)steel conduit, bare MICC etc should not be buried in plaster etc.

Read the last sentence again, as you have written it there it says that plasticisers migrate to polystyrene from thermoplastic and also plaster,
This says that plasticisers migrate from plaster to polystyrene, not from thermoplastic to plaster.

No one ever came round from my housing association, the cowboys still went ahead and tiled the kitchen. I can't wait til there gone.

20200212_134932.jpg
20200212_134925.jpg
20200212_134938.jpg

Last edited:
Look it's the 15th day since they tuck over me kitchen I just want them gone. It's the housing association problem if they can't bothered to sort it.

It could very well be your problem if it fails and say at the least gives you or a member of your family a shock, or worse... electrocutes you or a family member or friend. People have died as a result of work that was less shoddy than the fine example you posted.

You were clearly concerned enough to post here and ask what the professionals thought about it... we told you and you've allowed it to be concealed. You know it's bad and potentially dangerous, so in my opinion that makes you an accessory should something bad happen in the future.

If you're housing association wasn't listening, you should have contacted trading standards... you should still contact trading standards and/or the housing association. The works you posted are totally unacceptable and the company carrying out these works should not be. And as for being inconvenienced... I'm sorry m'lord, I allowed them to conceal these works, even though I knew they were dangerous because I wanted my kitchen back... WTF!

It could very well be your problem if it fails and say at the least gives you or a member of your family a shock, or worse... electrocutes you or a family member or friend. People have died as a result of work that was less shoddy than the fine example you posted.

You were clearly concerned enough to post here and ask what the professionals thought about it... we told you and you've allowed it to be concealed. You know it's bad and potentially dangerous, so in my opinion that makes you an accessory should something bad happen in the future.

If you're housing association wasn't listening, you should have contacted trading standards... you should still contact trading standards and/or the housing association. The works you posted are totally unacceptable and the company carrying out these works should not be. And as for being inconvenienced... I'm sorry m'lord, I allowed them to conceal these works, even though I knew they were dangerous because I wanted my kitchen back... WTF!

HARSH but,

TRUE

Unfortunately he is between a rock and a hard place. He has tried to consult with the housing association but to no avail, maybe a visit to citizens advice may have helped so he would have known his rights and how to proceed.

The housing association have a duty of care to ensure your accommodation is safe and fit for purpose. You have raised concerns with them yet they have not been forthcoming with action.

Did you speak to them or contact in written form? Written form is best as you have a record.

Contact them again and raise your concerns in writing. Give them ten working days to respond. In the meantime speak to citizens advice to see where you stand.

Reply to Does this wiring look ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net