Discuss drywall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

linux44

I really appreciate your help with below questions.

1.if I own a 1930s style home and my wall is solid, is that same as drywall or brick wall?

I took of the wallpaper and it looks like a clay thing on the wall. no plaster board like my apartment.

2.seconds questions is , is the wall built in front of a timber ? is uk homes mainly made from timber wood?

3.if I need to run cables or create extra socket, would I need to do what is known as chase walls?

4. would all existing cabling be in a metal duct so I can user super rod to install more cables ?

many thanks

If the house was built in the 1930s the chances are all of your walls would be made from bricks, even the interior ones. It could be that it's literally just a plastered brick wall, with no cavity.
It depends which part of the country you're in though, for example if you live in Cornwall the walls could be made from cob, or if you live in Brighton the walls could be made from bungaroosh, either of which from what I've heard are a bit of a nightmare to work with.

here is pic of my wall as I am currently removing all of the wallpapers.

xpai2o.jpg

it looks like clay to me but I could be wrong.
I have been told it is a solid wall

re electric cabling, how do I do that and also run rj45 cables? do i do wall chase and get a conduit and run all cables in it ?

More likely plaster as opposed to 'clay'. If it's an original 1930s wall then probably plastered brick, but it could be skimmed plasterboard if a later addition.
If it's brick then yes the walls will need to be chased via safe zones.

More likely plaster as opposed to 'clay'. If it's an original 1930s wall then probably plastered brick, but it could be skimmed plasterboard if a later addition.
If it's brick then yes the walls will need to be chased via safe zones.

so does that mean I have two layers of brick back to back from outside to inside and then plaster form inside and pebble dash from outside?

please could you give me some guidance on what conduit I can use to burry inside the chase and how I can find the safe zone? using metal detector like bosch ?

so does that mean I have two layers of brick back to back from outside to inside and then plaster form inside and pebble dash from outside?

please could you give me some guidance on what conduit I can use to burry inside the chase and how I can find the safe zone? using metal detector like bosch ?

What do you mean find the safe zone with a detector?

I guess Adam by safe zone meant areas that do not have a pipe or live wire under it hence why i said chase it with metal detector..

when one does re wiring of his home, how does that happen ? someone with a rod removes all old cables and run new cables ?

I guess Adam by safe zone meant areas that do not have a pipe or live wire under it hence why i said chase it with metal detector..

when one does re wiring of his home, how does that happen ? someone with a rod removes all old cables and run new cables ?

A safe zone is the area defined within the wiring regulations as being safe to install a cable without earthed metal protection but with RCD protection. Anyone who is qualified to carry out the work will own a copy of the wiring regulations and be fully conversant with their requirements and application to the particular installation. Anyone who is not qualified to carry out the work or is not fully conversant with the regulation should not attempt to carry out the work.

You don't chase with a metal detector! Chasing is the act of cutting a channel in the wall suitable to flush mount the cable and back box, a hammer and masonry chisel or powered chasing tool is normally used. It is important to comply with the requirements of the building regulations as to the number and depth/dimensions of all chases otherwise you risk compromising the structural integrity of the building.

Impossible to say exactly how a rewire would be carried out without knowing how the current installation is constructed and how the new points will differ in location from the existing.

idally you need to engage the services of a reputable electrician. he/she will advise on the necessary works and quote you a price to get the job done safelyandin compliance with regulations.

it's time you got up off your arse. :jester:

If the house was built in the 1930s the chances are all of your walls would be made from bricks, even the interior ones. It could be that it's literally just a plastered brick wall, with no cavity.
It depends which part of the country you're in though, for example if you live in Cornwall the walls could be made from cob, or if you live in Brighton the walls could be made from bungaroosh, either of which from what I've heard are a bit of a nightmare to work with.

I've come across Bungaroosh a few times, doing most of my work in the Sussex area. What a nightmare! I remember it was one of the first small jobs I was left alone on for most of the day while my boss went elsewhere and what do I come across for the first time!? Remember trying to fix a box into it for ages before an SOS call to my boss - felt like such a failure!

He got a bag of bonding and some pva on the way over and that did the trick!

I've come across Bungaroosh a few times, doing most of my work in the Sussex area. What a nightmare! I remember it was one of the first small jobs I was left alone on for most of the day while my boss went elsewhere and what do I come across for the first time!? Remember trying to fix a box into it for ages before an SOS call to my boss - felt like such a failure!

He got a bag of bonding and some pva on the way over and that did the trick!

Wow - not the luckiest incident!

Reply to drywall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net