Discuss earth leakage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ipf

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Called out by an old couple this aft, power down at a bungalow. Hour to spare so arrived to find main switch 30mA rcd tripped. Handy man/son had made the loft hatch bigger for new step ladder system. Bunch of cables must have been at the side of the hatch....butchered and extended with all sorts and colours of cables and different sizes of connectors, what a mess. Sorted anyway.
Tn-s, Zs 0.36. Various other problems, no bonding to gas or water included
Loads up ready for off, short of time and late. She then puts the dryer in the extension on....trip. Had a look, a bit of a mess, more like a timber shed..2 ds's each with d adaptors...washer, dryer, f/freezer...

Anyway, did an earth leakage test on the MEC...0.5 amps
Why is the RCD not tripping anyway. Tested at a local socket on 30mA, no problem.

Take it your saying tripped when tested at socket. = ask a real spark not me

- - - Updated - - -

Dodgy clamp meter,

- - - Updated - - -

Test each cpc separately , to see if specific

Take it your saying tripped when tested at socket. = ask a real spark not me
Course
- - - Updated - - -

Dodgy clamp meter,
Nope
- - - Updated - - -

Test each cpc separately , to see if specific

No time....but the leakage is there. Main switch RCD.

Anyway, did an earth leakage test on the MEC...0.5 amps
Why is the RCD not tripping anyway.

For a true leakage reading you need to clamp the supply tails, L & N together. If there are extraneous parts bonded to the MET or connected via a CPC, any current measured in the earthing conductor won't necessarily reflect the true leakage current.

For a true leakage reading you need to clamp the supply tails, L & N together. If there are extraneous parts bonded to the MET or connected via a CPC, any current measured in the earthing conductor won't necessarily reflect the true leakage current.

Appreciate that, mate, problems and no time though.Quick test, there's only the MEC connected , but who knows throughout the place.

Reply to earth leakage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net