Discuss Eddy currents?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
After a bit of advice. Have a 630A MCCB feeding a DB, it's fed with 4 x 300mm single core, non armoured HO7 cables and a 185mm earth. The DB is GRP and plastic compression glands have been used. The main panel has an aluminium gland plate and brass A2 glands have been used, however, the lock nuts are steel. Will this cause issues, do the lock rings need to be changed to brass also?

Any metal that completely surrounds a single core cable should be non-ferrous, that includes lock nuts, so in my opinion these should be changed to brass.
Interesting. I hadn't thought of locknuts being subject to eddy currents, but what you say makes sense when I think back to basic AC circuit theory.

After a bit of advice. Have a 630A MCCB feeding a DB, it's fed with 4 x 300mm single core, non armoured HO7 cables and a 185mm earth. The DB is GRP and plastic compression glands have been used. The main panel has an aluminium gland plate and brass A2 glands have been used, however, the lock nuts are steel. Will this cause issues, do the lock rings need to be changed to brass also?

Any metal that completely surrounds a single core cable should be non-ferrous, that includes lock nuts, so in my opinion these should be changed to brass.
I have always kept the lock nut the same material as the gland on single core cable, just something I was told years ago but never actually fully knew why. The reason I asked is because they are going to be pig to take back off and swap and wondered whether anyone had any experience of it.

I have always kept the lock nut the same material as the gland on single core cable, just something I was told years ago but never actually fully knew why. The reason I asked is because they are going to be pig to take back off and swap and wondered whether anyone had any experience of it.
I’m afraid that’s what needs to be done, especially on high current circuits such as this.

It will be easier to replace the lock nut on singles, assuming there is ready access than a multi-core cable.
I agree, multi core would be worse. There is however a plastic gland plate half way down the enclosure which cables run through an additional plastic compression gland for support. The lug probably won't fit through the plastic compression gland so would have to cut the lug off slide it back down through the plastic gland and then swap the lock nuts.

Nowhere near impossible just a lot of extra work, hence wanting a bit of clarity as people have different opinions on it. Would ideally like to leave the steel ones place but obviously wouldn't if its going to be dangerous.

Reply to Eddy currents?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net