Discuss EDF refusing to fit a meter until signed off?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Have a builder client desperate to get some temp boards into some new builds just about at the electrical first fix stage, DNO have put the supplies in but Eon (subbed to an EDF fitter) have refused to fit meters until the whole lot are finished which is clearly ridiculous. Anybody else ever had this problem?

Since when did suppliers care what is going on after the meter? The installation has nothing to do with them sounds like you have a jobs worth, or someone who doesn't know what they are talking about

Just pay a bit extra and get them to install a 100a DP isolator after the meter so they are devorced from the installation.

I'm going to need to fit an 80A fuse anyway as all the tails are going to be via SWA. Dull.

how can you sign off the job before they fit the meter how can you do your testing without power ? they are not responsible for anything after the meter so they can not refuse if they do ask them if they are taking responsibility for it and then they have to do the testing and you wash your hands of it. but to be honest i have never heard of anyone refusing to fit the meter until the job is done.

I have had the situation quite often in the past and getting hold of a helpful person on the other end of the phone is invaluble.

We have had to provide dead test resuts at times to get a connection.

Why don't you fit and connect your switched fused isolator and supply a dead test EIC, IMO they cannot refuse then.............

We get a seperate supply and meter fitted just for site power

But that's just it - this is for temporary boards. So as long as the board itself has a cert, I can't possibly see what difference it makes. Now....if someone said it was a building site and therefore can't be TNCS, fine - but that's not what's happened!

- - - Updated - - -

We get a seperate supply and meter fitted just for site power

But that's just it - this is for temporary boards. So as long as the board itself has a cert, I can't possibly see what difference it makes. Now....if someone said it was a building site and therefore can't be TNCS, fine - but that's not what's happened!

Theres no reason not to fit the meters as long as your tails are not connected
If its that desperate call eon up or just connect the boards anyway unmetered

Experienced this before, and had to connect up a single socket radial to the CU, and fit the tails etc, they then happily connected it up, but they did fit an isolator as well.

Cheers.................

I will assume that it is because the supply is Tncs and that is what is making them overreact,perhaps he has heard of things like bonding and such
icon10.png

It seems to be pot luck
I just had a meter fitted to a house where the supply is also Tncs,I mounted a temp board and a KMf ( in their cabinet as usual ) and stuck an earth rod in,I left a certificate in the cabinet for them

I had no jumped up meter monkey,(I must have had a spark fit the meter) When The house is ready,its just a matter of swapping over

Eon/EDF rebooked.

Oh no, says Mr Regional EDF manager jobsworth yesterday, can't connect up until the job's finished. What?! Reason he claims is that their EDF meters don't have the little iso switch on them, and that it's impossible for the domestic side tails to be fitted after they've left as that involves breaking their seal. Wouldn't budge on the Left-side / Right-side meter tradition and insisted that they have to fit the domestic tails...as such, they have to be satisfied of the risk/certs/responsibility/CPD etc. And he wasn't going to do that for 'temporary' boards (despite these being proper job, robust and RCD protected made for purpose boards). So I then ask him how it might be possible to any electrician to issue a cert with a Ze on it without first being connected.....he glazes over and says well, you'll have to put some rods in and make it a TT first then use the PME afterwards.

He then also started muttering about building site regs (incorrectly, I might add) and said in response to my asking, that as far as he's concerned it's a building site until signed off by the BCO.

This is simply ridiculous, the developer has gone ballistic (understandably) and I'm trying to dodge the cross-fire!! I'm ALMOST tempted to fit a couple of meters myself (so as to be able to record usage and be honest) and then remove them afterwards!

- - - Updated - - -

Eon/EDF rebooked.

Oh no, says Mr Regional EDF manager jobsworth yesterday, can't connect up until the job's finished. What?! Reason he claims is that their EDF meters don't have the little iso switch on them, and that it's impossible for the domestic side tails to be fitted after they've left as that involves breaking their seal. Wouldn't budge on the Left-side / Right-side meter tradition and insisted that they have to fit the domestic tails...as such, they have to be satisfied of the risk/certs/responsibility/CPD etc. And he wasn't going to do that for 'temporary' boards (despite these being proper job, robust and RCD protected made for purpose boards). So I then ask him how it might be possible to any electrician to issue a cert with a Ze on it without first being connected.....he glazes over and says well, you'll have to put some rods in and make it a TT first then use the PME afterwards.

He then also started muttering about building site regs (incorrectly, I might add) and said in response to my asking, that as far as he's concerned it's a building site until signed off by the BCO.

This is simply ridiculous, the developer has gone ballistic (understandably) and I'm trying to dodge the cross-fire!! I'm ALMOST tempted to fit a couple of meters myself (so as to be able to record usage and be honest) and then remove them afterwards!

I will assume that it is because the supply is Tncs and that is what is making them overreact,perhaps he has heard of things like bonding and such

704.411.3.1 doesn't apply to this site in so much as it's all plastic - not a sausage to bond anywhere, so that's not an argument either!!

Speaking to a mate who works for western power he said if you request a double pole switch to be installed they are obliged to put one in free of charge as a safety measure

Speaking to a mate who works for western power he said if you request a double pole switch to be installed they are obliged to put one in free of charge as a safety measure

That's useful to know, thanks, but I think the problem is defining who 'they' is! I've been told by meter fitters in the past that they can't fit an isolator to the right side as that infringes on the consumer side which makes it liable to part p and they're not a part p installer! But install to the left of the meter and it's in no-mans-land as the DNO's responsibility runs out at the bullet.

The ESQR make it a requireent that the supplier ensures that any installation complies with either BS7671 or ESQR, before allowing a connection to be made.
The usual method, is to provide an EIC, stating the installation complies with BS7671.
However that being said and done, the supplier is still allowed to refuse connection on the grounds of safety.

Reply to EDF refusing to fit a meter until signed off?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net