Discuss EICR Coding query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently carried out an EICR on a big house and am struggling with coding on quite a big issue. The main tails & earth's are connected into Henley blocks, then looped into 2 separate consumer units right next to the service head/meter etc. Then there is a 3rd set of tails which go into a 100a DP main switch. Connected to the load side of the switch is a 16mm Swa which runs underground into another Consumer unit in an extension of the house. There is no connection from the MET to the swa feeding this 3rd consumer unit, hence there is no main earth connection at this board. The problem is, although it is a relatively simple fix, I have been asked to only do a report & not touch any remedials yet.obviously I know the issue needs resolving as a matter of urgency, however, as far as reporting it I am struggling to find a reg. number and code. Any help much appreciated

No fault readings on dead tests, however the lack of earth connection to this DB means no Ze/Zs and also that the RCD is serving no purpose
If that’s the case I’d probably not re energise the board after doing the tests.

remember you do not have the authority to disconnect someone’s electric supply. But you can chose not t9 re energise after testing.

Is the armour of the SWA earthed?
is the SWA 3 core?
what does the separate db supply?
Is separate db on a TT system?

pictures would help.
No, the swa isn't earthed at either end. Yes it's a 3 core with the 3rd core connected to the earth bar at the consumer unit and connected to the enclosure of the 100a dp switch at the other end. The DB supplies the lighting/small power in the extension and isn't on a TT. It's literally just missing an earth from the MET to the steel enclosure of the 100a dp switch. Like I said it's a very easy fix but I have to find the reg this contravenes and code it before doing any remedials. I'm starting to wish I'd just connected it and kept quiet ?

The Best Practice Guide #4 has C2 for missing/ineffective earth:
  • Absence of a reliable and effective means of earthing for the installation
  • Absence of a circuit protective conductor for a circuit, other than a lighting circuit, supplying Class I equipment
  • Absence of earthing at a socket-outlet
  • Absence of effective main protective bonding of extraneous-conductive-parts entering the premises
They only have C1 for exposed live parts or incorrect polarity.

But it is something that has to be put in writing to the client (and occupier, if different) as it is clearly a high risk of any additional fault being potentially fatal.

Yes, and as I say i know exactly what needs doing to put it right. I just have never come across a board with no main earth connection so am struggling to find the appropriate reg/code.
You need to forget the fact that it's a board, you have a circuit (the supply to the board) without a cpc. Therefore ADS is not being met. The Zs is too high and there is no earth fault protection. Code 2.
None of the final circuit from the board will have acceptable Zs or disconnection times. All code 2.

Reply to EICR Coding query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net