Discuss EICR - No Line or CPC Continuity on Ring in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Here's one I wasn't expecting on an EICR. Recently rewired and renovated 2-bed property (2015ish). Having an EICR as a new tenant to move in soon. No reported problems.

I expected to be in and out in about 3-4 hours to be honest, and as expected I found nothing wrong until I began my ring final tests. All the sockets had already tested fine during my visual check and quick test with my Kewtech tester. I was a little surprised to find this property only had the one ring with the combi boiler also hanging off it, given the board was a 10-way with 4 spare ways in it. Made me wonder why during the rewire the property wasn't split into an upstairs and downstairs ring, but anyway....

So, RN tested out fine, but R1 - open circuit, R2 - open circuit ! Oh joy. At this point the current tenant piped up and said "Should I have mentioned some of the sockets were getting hot ?!"

Anyway according to the Codebreakers guide I should be giving this a C2 (Actually I'm thinking of giving it an FI), and handing the report to the landlord. I admit I don't get many outright failures, but this one obviously is.

Anyway what I was going to ask is I'm assuming what I have here is a ring that's functioning as 2 overloaded radials, and somewhere both conductors have a break in them (It'll be just my luck that they will be in different locations). It can't be classed a C1 can it, as this fault could have been there for years, and another couple of days shouldn't hurt. What would you classify this as - C1, C2 or an FI ?

Last edited:
An open circuit on any conductor on a ring final circuit should attract a C2. What limitations are preventing you inspecting and testing thus giving an FI code?
The FI code is massively misunderstood and misused, it should be used when a limitation in the inspection prevents you from assessing something and where did to the limitations, you suspect danger or potential danger.

C2 for me,

Also, odds are that the cable faults are in exactly the same position.

could be a classic diy mistake, drill hole for picture hook. bang goes electric off.
"turned power back on to see if everything was ok"
found all lights and sockets still working, therefore everything is ok!!!
unseen is the hole blown in live and cpc hidden out of sight.

p.s. replace hole for picture hook with any of the following
nail for picture, floorboard, etc.

screw for floorboard, doorframe, shelf, tv bracket, doorbell, coat hooks, etc.

I disagree @Paignton pete and @buzzlightyear

This is an inspection only.

there is no further investigation required, a fault has been found in 2 conductors of a ring.
report it's condition as C2 and move on.

if it was not a ring, and the cpc was broken, It may well be a C1, no further investigation is required to find where it is broken. just report it and move on.

Obviously to fix the fault will require further investigation (AKA Fault Finding) as it has not been precisely located.

Code FI (Further investigation required without delay)
It should usually be possible for the inspector to attribute a Classification code to each observation without indicating a need for further investigation.
However, where ‘FI’ has been entered against an observation the inspector considers that further investigation of that observation is likely to reveal danger or potential danger that, due to the agreed extent or limitations of the inspection and/or testing, could not be fully identified at the time.

I don’t see how this is relevant to an open circuit on a ring final there’s an open circuit that’s been identified, especially when the regulations require that each conductor is to be continuous.

oh don't worry about offending me, i am open to discussion, not laying down the law!

my way of looking at it would be that there is a high risk of overloading a conductor because the ring is broken and the ocpd is higher than the current capacity of the cable.
couple of heaters plugged in on a cold night and the cable could be seriously overheated and no trip of breaker to protect it.

rcd wont help until the cable has melted beyond holding the conductors apart.

That make zero sense, it’s potentially dangerous if the continuity is high but it’s not potentially dangerous if it’s open circuit which is worse?

sorry , what I ment was I would be happy to convert into a pair of long radials if I could achieve the relevant readings for a 16/20a radial and downgrade the mcb

if it has to remain a rfc then I would FI it and insist the missing link / missing connection be found

So, RN tested out fine, but R1 - open circuit, R2 - open circuit ! Oh joy. At this point the current tenant piped up and said "Should I have mentioned some of the sockets were getting hot ?!"

Anyway according to the Codebreakers guide I should be giving this a C2 (Actually I'm thinking of giving it an FI), and handing the report to the landlord. I admit I don't get many outright failures, but this one obviously is.

In this case, i see no reason to stray from the codebreakers advice.

also as mentioned, some sockets getting hot, leads me to think there is a very high chance of some overloaded cables or terminals.

It is potentially dangerous.
do you need to do further investigation to figure out if it is dangerous?
as a temporary fix, improvement the ocpd could be changed for a 20A (still leaving the possibility of some free cable ends floating around somewhere)
but really it needs marking down as a failure so it gets repaired.

As a temporary fix reducing the OCPD size will work however the broken conductor needs to be found. This needs to be repaired as a lose conductor could potentially be fatal.

As a temporary fix reducing the OCPD size will work however the broken conductor needs to be found. This needs to be repaired as a lose conductor could potentially be fatal.
You are Quite correct, I did fail to make that clear in my post.
Well spotted.

I think the confusion comes from the fact to rectify a brocken ring requires investigation and further testing. But this is an EICR and you are reporting on the condition of the installation. So in this case a brocken ring has been identified. Which will become dangerous if the circuit is overloaded . No further investigation is required to find out if the brocken ring is potentially dangerous .we know it is . So I would code 2 it

Reply to EICR - No Line or CPC Continuity on Ring in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net