• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Ems gone haywire in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A couple of my Harleys have AGM batteries, though one of them didn’t start off with one.
The one I’m building has a Li-on battery.
I put a Li-Ion on my Triumph chop last year an it's served me well. Although I did have to upgrade the charging system to a more stable three phase as the single phase system would probably have killed it and melted the Zener diode...

Back on topic, AGM are good for trips where battery demand is high such as short trips or lots of stop/start in towns as they can handle deep discharge better than flooded batteries and can recharge much quicker.

A modern car charging system should be able to handle the swap with no problems, possibly the ECU may need to be told but I'm not 100% sure as I've never really gone this deep into car charging systems. As long as you have something more advanced than a dynamo you should be OK.

A good battery with no load should be 12.5 volts, after start up should be charging at around 14.5 volts but once the battery has regained its charge this may drop to 13.5 volts. These are not hard and fast figures but a ball park.

Here's a decent chart to refer to:

Ems gone haywire voltchart - EletriciansForums.net

Lol - according to that chart, my battery was in negative figures :D

I've run it through a full charging/reconditioning program and no errors so looks like I may not need a new one. Fingers crossed - going back in the car!

Well after a couple of hours driving with wipers and headlights etc, remeasured the battery voltage and it's 12.7, so think it may be ok.

I do however have a new fault showing - Auto Start/Stop Error. That wasn't displayed before, the Start/Stop just hasn't worked for a couple of months.

Probably need to get hold a scanner to find out what's going on.

I would be tempted to get some codes cleared,and read. The stop/start systems,require a specific grade of battery. A wrong,inferior or faulty battery,can give rise to problems.
For instance,a battery can give an adequate voltage,at rest,but during load,say starting,can dip below certain thresholds,set by the ECU. These voltage drops,are not always the same,at different points,in the system.

Reply to Ems gone haywire in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back