Discuss BMW E36 Electric Windows acting strange? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've come to this forum as I believe the advice im looking for is much more specific and after posting on all the E36 forums its clear that this is an unheard of problem which seems to be happening to me.

My car is a 1996 BMW 3 Series (Also known as an E36)

My main problem with the window are 2 bizzare things are happening

1) Whenever the key is turned over in the ignition, the windows automatically wind down... the buttons are not being pressed down etc it just automatically starts going down

2) When the windows do go down, they all go down at the exact same time - and in the past when i managed to get the windows slightly/almost working briefly by trying loads of different methods they were still all working together almost in union.

The convertible models has a one touch button i believe which allowed the windows to all work together however mine is a Saloon so it definitely shouldnt be happening.

All motors and regulators have been either replaced or are already tested and working fine (and the GM4 module which controls the windows has been replaced and tested as working).

If there is any more information that could be helpful please let me know - Im also very happy to supply requested photos as all the door cards are off at the moment.

Thanks all for any help!
Ben

TL;DR
Windows all automatically rolling down as soon as the key is turned in the ignition barrel, they also all work together
From memory, BMWs i have had including the one i drive now has a function where if you press and hold the unlock button on key fob, all windows will go down together, equally if you press and hold the lock button, they will all go up together. It may be your key is faulty.

From memory, BMWs i have had including the one i drive now has a function where if you press and hold the unlock button on key fob, all windows will go down together, equally if you press and hold the lock button, they will all go up together. It may be your key is faulty.

Thanks for the reply - This is something which someone else has also mentioned to me which may be worth looking into - However my key fob was broken so I use the manual key entry, so I dont think my FOB could be the cause of it in this scenario but thanks for the suggestion

Reply to BMW E36 Electric Windows acting strange? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock