Discuss EU Brexit - How will you vote given the latest "news" in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you want to remain in the EU

• Yes - stay in

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • No - time to leave

Votes: 81 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last nights debate.... would seem that ITV are coming under some scrutiny regarding their balanced audience of the general public, it would seem Farage was kind of set up with well known left wing activists to attack him and even call him racist, given that he couldn't get a word in edgeway until another audience member told her to pipe it she still refused to listen and ask the same question again that had been answered... looks like she was there to make a statement of her own far left opinions.

Im not saying Cam' got away lightly as it was nice to see him squirm too although he still hasn't answered how you would control immigration, he just side swings the question with a non direct response.

For me the remain camp just bring up immigration so they can make it all the leave camp are right wing thugs. This is rubbish and many on the leave side don't fit their profile, as the questioner last night to David Cameron proved.

For me the remain camp just bring up immigration so they can make it all the leave camp are right wing thugs.

It's not the remain camp that brings up immigration Murdoch, it's the leave camp. It's all they have.
The remain camp would rather immigration was not discussed at all, it's the one point that they do not do well in the polls on.

For me the remain camp just bring up immigration so they can make it all the leave camp are right wing thugs. This is rubbish and many on the leave side don't fit their profile, as the questioner last night to David Cameron proved.

I don't mind that because its ultimately an own goal as it focuses the attention on the one thing Cameron is trying to avoid answering, agree the future of the UK shouldn't be decided on just one factor but you cannot educate the public to 40yrs of politics to make a balance judgement so the only tool you have is to use your best resources and tools you have at the time.

If true, what's wrong with that Steve? Assuming it was a legitimate question.

The media has to present the argument with neutrality, it is required to select the audience and check there background and ensure they provide balance and use representatives of the general public and its views, in selecting this women they must have been well aware of her position and views thus could be looked on as not remaining impartial.

The question itself was a legitimate one to which I'll agree, the way she blocked response and talked over Mr Farage and refused to listen to him was exactly the reason that she should never have been selected to put a question forward, and exactly why ITV have questions to answer. This wasn't just a passionate audience member, this was a career left wing blogger with what I class looking at her history, some extreme views.

I got this at work a few days ago. I got told that us 'out' people are just about immigration. He wouldn't have it any other way.

The media has to present the argument with neutrality, it is required to select the audience and check there background

Neutrality yes, ask their voting intentions and select a balanced audience based on that most certainly, check their background? No. That's a step too far. What do you propose they check and who would do the checking?

I must admit I thought it was on Sky, now I know it was on ITV I'll try to see it in itvplayer so I have a better idea what I'm discussing.

Neutrality yes, ask their voting intentions and select a balanced audience based on that most certainly, check their background? No. That's a step too far. What do you propose they check and who would do the checking?

I must admit I thought it was on Sky, now I know it was on ITV I'll try to see it in itvplayer so I have a better idea what I'm discussing.

The BBC was pulled over this very same fact during the general election when it was claimed the audience was biased, it was explained then that the audience were selected to give a balanced view across the whole audience thus applause and questions which all influence the viewer are balanced, as we have politians and prime ministers on the stage, a security check is done on all audience members anyway - this and a general background check is standard to ensure members are not lying to media about their sway or if they are part of some far right or left movement.

If you think it goes to far to be checked then it really comes down to the choice of not applying to be a member of the audience.

You are not going to get a balanced audience for a discussion (its not a debate, with only one speaker) on EU ref' on these tv programmes. Farage got barracked (didn't catch he's myself) and Cameron got swiped by that young woman on Sky. Don't know how the selection process works, but a small audience like that, you'll only get people applying, who won't to have a pop at the speaker.

Look at Question Time, which has numerous speakers, it still ends up with a one sided audience. Very few people will ask a question the speakers going to agree with.

As for Farage, can't understand why he's popular, when as only an MEP he want's to leave his parliament, but can't seem to get elected as an MP and so would have no position in a leave parliament. Think UKIP should bin him and find someone else, but I suppose that's a debate for somewhere else.

Few, that's the longest I typed out here, thing I'll go and have a lie down.

Screwfix sent me an email to take part in a poll on the EU ref', with a chance to win some vouchers. I did. Hope I don't get banned from the store, to fill up on my expanding foam and me Turbo Golds. :crazy:

The BBC was pulled over this very same fact during the general election when it was claimed the audience was biased, it was explained then that the audience were selected to give a balanced view across the whole audience thus applause and questions which all influence the viewer are balanced, as we have politians and prime ministers on the stage, a security check is done on all audience members anyway - this and a general background check is standard to ensure members are not lying to media about their sway or if they are part of some far right or left movement.

Over time the BBC is accused of being biased by both the left and right.
I understand that the BBC should ask questions about your political leaning, who you voted for or who you are likely to vote for, or if you belong to a political party to get a balanced audience. I don't think they should, and I'm sure they do not do any background checks, how could they? Who you voted for is not known, party membership is not open to the public, there really should be nothing public to judge you on.

If you think it goes to far to be checked then it really comes down to the choice of not applying to be a member of the audience.

I don't think they do any checks DW, I'm sure there is a lot of security on the night, the normal stuff like bag checks, sniffer dogs and the like.
And yes I do think it goes too far to look into your personnel life just because you want to go on a TV show.

You are not going to get a balanced audience for a discussion (its not a debate, with only one speaker) on EU ref' on these tv programmes. Farage got barracked (didn't catch he's myself) and Cameron got swiped by that young woman on Sky. Don't know how the selection process works, but a small audience like that, you'll only get people applying, who won't to have a pop at the speaker.

Look at Question Time, which has numerous speakers, it still ends up with a one sided audience. Very few people will ask a question the speakers going to agree with.

As for Farage, can't understand why he's popular, when as only an MEP he want's to leave his parliament, but can't seem to get elected as an MP and so would have no position in a leave parliament. Think UKIP should bin him and find someone else, but I suppose that's a debate for somewhere else.

Few, that's the longest I typed out here, thing I'll go and have a lie down.

Maybe that has something to do with the suspected electoral fraud been investigated in his home turf that the conservatives tried blocking the investigation, if it is found to be true then I'm not sure how it works but either there is a re-election for that seat or Farage gets it as he was the runner up, also you forget UKIP won the European vote and hold that position now. Plus he tells it as it is as most people on the street can relate to.

Over time the BBC is accused of being biased by both the left and right.
I understand that the BBC should ask questions about your political leaning, who you voted for or who you are likely to vote for, or if you belong to a political party to get a balanced audience. I don't think they should, and I'm sure they do not do any background checks, how could they? Who you voted for is not known, party membership is not open to the public, there really should be nothing public to judge you on.

I don't think they do any checks DW, I'm sure there is a lot of security on the night, the normal stuff like bag checks, sniffer dogs and the like.
And yes I do think it goes too far to look into your personnel life just because you want to go on a TV show.

I understand what your saying but I believe it is more than an 'on the night' security check, when you have a front row of people 10ft away from the PM or whoever is on stage then they need to make sure there are no wacko's invited, you don't need a gun or knife to cause alot of security problems, you are required to apply to be in the audience and you are selected and whether they admit it or not they do check you out, this isn't Jeremy Kyle where a criminal record is prefered, it is well respected or equally hated politicians, PM's etc who I suspect due to there position have alot of people who given half the chance would happily do time to get a chance at causing some harm.

Maybe that has something to do with the suspected electoral fraud been investigated in his home turf that the conservatives tried blocking the investigation, if it is found to be true then I'm not sure how it works but either there is a re-election for that seat or Farage gets it as he was the runner up, also you forget UKIP won the European vote and hold that position now. Plus he tells it as it is as most people on the street can relate to.
They are being investigated in 29 Tory seats according to John Rentoul of the Independent. I wouldn't get your hopes up though, if guilty it will probably be fines or slapped wrists. I doubt the Labour party are squeaky clean.

I understand what your saying but I believe it is more than an 'on the night' security check, when you have a front row of people 10ft away from the PM or whoever is on stage then they need to make sure there are no wacko's invited, you don't need a gun or knife to cause alot of security problems, you are required to apply to be in the audience and you are selected and whether they admit it or not they do check you out, this isn't Jeremy Kyle where a criminal record is prefered, it is well respected or equally hated politicians, PM's etc who I suspect due to there position have alot of people who given half the chance would happily do time to get a chance at causing some harm.

You are not a Mossad agent in disguise DW? There's quite a lot of Cameron detractors in the front row of the Commons. You don't see empty seats there.

The woman who asked Farage about immigration was Imriel Morgan, the “CEO and co founder” of the Shout Out Network and blogger at the Huffington Post.
When asked by radio host Jon Gaunt as to whether ITV did any background checks of her, or her “clear political agenda,” Ms. Morgan admitted to having been hand picked by ITV.
The revelation comes as it was also revealed that ITV hand selected the audience rather than relying on a reputable pollster to ensure demographic representation last night.

Reply to EU Brexit - How will you vote given the latest "news" in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net