Discuss Ev BP homecharger question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Husk24

DIY
Reaction score
Hi I have had a free bp chargemaster home charger installed as I have purchased a new car. It hasnt worked since it was installed, when I first tried it, after a few minutes my Mercedes shows an error and stops charging, the voltage detection unit that was installed instead of the earth rod as it was in garage made a clanking noise every few seconds so i shut the charger off. Second visit from electrician, tried another charger , apparently it did the same thing, the car worked fine on 16amps but same problem on 32amps, was told it was my new car. So I tried my car at my neighbours charger which is a different make it worked fine, I got my neighbour to try his golf at mine, same issue. I tried my car at 4 different public chargers using ac 7,4 kw chargers and worked fine. So third visit from electrician, installed earth rod . Car charged for about 20 mins which is longer than usual and then switched off, now it switches off after few minutes, so same issue.
I feel its the inferior charger, maybe its the firmware? When it did charge today for a few minutes it tripped the upstairs light circuit, at that point there was no one upstairs and no one was trying to switch lights on, i have since tried to reset the fuse switch but it instantly trips, i have removed all the bulbs from upstairs but same issue. The fact that my circuit board was disturbed I feel theres some loose wiring left ? it can’t be a coincidence. And finally the electrician has left a few holes in the fuse board, isnt that dangerous? Shouldnt there be blanks in there? there were blanks previously. So as you can see i have a few issues.
any thoughts from experts? Thanks in advance

I have 100amps in household, everything was checked beforehand , my current electrical setup/capacity was fine and sufficient, was also checked by an independent electrician as originally i was going to buy a charger myself with an independent electrician to install it which unfortunately I cancelled as i was offered a free charger by Mercedes! - big mistake

Yes, if he taken the front cover off and put in a new circuit was their any missing before.
hes moved things around, there were blanks in the empty ones before now just holes
6DBCCC7F-4881-4B38-B43A-1AB2406F719E.jpeg

First mistake is taking the charge master unit. Worse than Rolec units.. Surprised Mercedes got into bed with them
One of my installs in next few weeks is for an Andersen A2 as customer said no thanks to the free unit and wanted something decent.

When you spend 10’s of thousands on a new car, you should expect the charger that comes supplied with it to work faultlessly.

I would go back to Mercedes and suggest you are going to return the car as not fit for purpose unless they get this sorted for you.

If you buy a new phone, plug it in with the supplied charger and it won’t charge, you would quite rightly send the whole thing back and expect them to sort it out.

When you spend 10’s of thousands on a new car, you should expect the charger that comes supplied with it to work faultlessly.

I would go back to Mercedes and suggest you are going to return the car as not fit for purpose unless they get this sorted for you.
I tried but Mercedes are saying its not their issue the car is working fine, if it was the car they would sort it out! I disagree, it was their promotion!

merecedes, they don't make them like they used to:
1604047873898.png

I tried but Mercedes are saying its not their issue the car is working fine, if it was the car they would sort it out! I disagree, it was their promotion!
They supplied the charger, even though it was through a 3rd party. Eventually the final responsibility is theirs.

Do they have a feedback route that is publicly seen.? They might not want the publicity of such poor support for a new car supplied by them.

Visit the showroom and make a fuss at the weekend when there are prospective customers inside, don't be fobbed off with "come into the office and we will speak about this" make sure your grievance is publicly aired in the showroom, hope you have a loud voice.

Have to say this is typical of Mercedes after sales service, the franchise is so draconian that the dealer is always reticent to do anything, only worse is Land Rover who lost my car keys when in for a service.

I had the bp Chargemaster electrician again today, this time he tried the untethered version of the charger, same issue, then he connected the charger directly to my electricity, bypassing the fuse board and it works fine now! - so I had no idea what the issue was but it’s working now.

any ideas guy what might have been the issue?

thanks

Reply to Ev BP homecharger question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net