Discuss Odd E.V. home charger question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes, I called them. I have been going over this in my head and can't figure it out
I feel the kWh charge you have been told by the electricity company is not the whole story, as it does not seem compatible with average electricity costs in your area. Is it backed up by the information on your invoices?

The electricity company seem to have given you the base level rate (GSC charge) of 13.2 Cents per kWh, but from what I see, other charges are normally added to that (for every kWh unit you use, eg: transmission charge ~4 cents, Distribution charge ~5 cents, System improvements charge ~ 1 cent, etc. etc.

See: Electricity - https://portal.ct.gov/OCC/Electricity/Electricity/Electricity

If this is relevant to your situation, you should be paying between 21 and 27 cents per kWh, which is less than I pay here in the UK, and more consistent with the billing for the EV you are receiving. Taking Julie's sums, a full charge would be 81.25 (kWh) x $0.23 = $18.7 for a full charge (or up to $22 at the higher average price below).
I really don't think there is anything wrong with your electricity supply, I just think that the pricing structure has changed so much since Covid that you cannot make comparisons with what costs used to be!

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpeg
    867.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0520.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I feel the kWh charge you have been told by the electricity company is not the whole story, as it does not seem compatible with average electricity costs in your area. Is it backed up by the information on your invoices?

The electricity company seem to have given you the base level rate (GSC charge) of 13.2 Cents per kWh, but from what I see, other charges are normally added to that (for every kWh unit you use, eg: transmission charge ~4 cents, Distribution charge ~5 cents, System improvements charge ~ 1 cent, etc. etc.

See: Electricity - https://portal.ct.gov/OCC/Electricity/Electricity/Electricity

If this is relevant to your situation, you should be paying between 21 and 27 cents per kWh, which is less than I pay here in the UK, and more consistent with the billing for the EV you are receiving. Taking Julie's sums, a full charge would be 81.25 (kWh) x $0.23 = $18.7 for a full charge (or up to $22 at the higher average price below).
I really don't think there is anything wrong with your electricity supply, I just think that the pricing structure has changed so much since Covid that you cannot make comparisons with what costs used to be!
I just e-mailed Emporia and if or when they respond I will post it. My main concern was how is it possible if i keep charger powered up but not using it tp charge ,how in the world can my charger draw so much power.

I just e-mailed Emporia and if or when they respond I will post it. My main concern was how is it possible if i keep charger powered up but not using it tp charge ,how in the world can my charger draw so much power.
Yes, apologies, I was thinking about costs in general.

It would have been helpful if your electrician had put a clamp ammeter on the lead to the EV charger while he was installing it, and measured the quiescent current it takes. I wonder if he would be prepared to return and measure it, since you are having this problem. That would show if the EV charger is responsible..

Emporia sell a comprehensive energy monitor that can monitor all circuits in a house, but it's costly. I wondered if an inexpensive single channel device might help diagnosis.
This might help to indicate if there is a problem, but I suspect it may not be particularly accurate:

Reply to Odd E.V. home charger question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net