Discuss EV chargers and double pole RCD's. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

goasis

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
So regulation 722.531.3.1 says RCD's shall disconnect all live conductors.
Is this requirement met if the charger itself contains a DP RCD? As presumably there is no reason that the installed circuit requires a DP RCD? in fact depending on cable type and install methods the cable may not need an RCD at all?

So regulation 722.531.3.1 says RCD's shall disconnect all live conductors.
Is this requirement met if the charger itself contains a DP RCD? As presumably there is no reason that the installed circuit requires a DP RCD? in fact depending on cable type and install methods the cable may not need an RCD at all?
Bit of a interpretation required, the rcds in the chargers are often rcds as in 61008/61009 but rdc-dd devices which are without checking are a different standard 62955 or similar.
Easee have an issue at present with swedish authorities about this.

Given the charger is a radial circuit with one device fit an upfront type a double pole and you avoid any doubt, Myenergi recommend it as do a lot of manufacturers regardless of what is inside the unit. Wouldnt cause any wider inconvenience even with lack of selectivity as its the one device.

Depending on cable and route you might need upfront rcd protection anyway

Bit of a interpretation required, the rcds in the chargers are often rcds as in 61008/61009 but rdc-dd devices which are without checking are a different standard 62955 or similar.
Easee have an issue at present with swedish authorities about this.

Given the charger is a radial circuit with one device fit an upfront type a double pole and you avoid any doubt, Myenergi recommend it as do a lot of manufacturers regardless of what is inside the unit. Wouldnt cause any wider inconvenience even with lack of selectivity as its the one device.

Depending on cable and route you might need upfront rcd protection anyway

cheers, yes i agree with what you are saying, and an RCD is required for the cable/route. The issue is a Scolmore Elucian board has been fitted and their RCBO's are single pole. Which seems massively shortsighted. (both from a manufacturing point of view, and a installation design point of view)

cheers, yes i agree with what you are saying, and an RCD is required for the cable/route. The issue is a Scolmore Elucian board has been fitted and their RCBO's are single pole. Which seems massively shortsighted. (both from a manufacturing point of view, and a installation design point of view)
fit an MCB in the board then small 2 module enclosure adjacent and route the ev charger circuit through a double pole type a rcd. job done

Scolmore Elucian aren’t a manufacturer, they’re an importer/supplier of products, pretty much like Fusebox.

They have little or no design input into the product and they have little or no experience of selection. They get what they get given by the agents in China and join the race to bottom on price and quality.

Scolmore Elucian aren’t a manufacturer, they’re an importer/supplier of products, pretty much like Fusebox.

They have little or no design input into the product and they have little or no experience of selection. They get what they get given by the agents in China and join the race to bottom on price and quality.
I think Scolmore would disagree with this statement, being a British designer and manufacturer of electrical products.
The same is true of CP Fusebox.

fit an MCB in the board then small 2 module enclosure adjacent and route the ev charger circuit through a double pole type a rcd. job done
Always worth considering, also it allows a far wider range of MCB and RCD characteristics to be achieved (i.e. beyond Type A with B/C curve over-current).

I think Scolmore would disagree with this statement, being a British designer and manufacturer of electrical products.
The same is true of CP Fusebox.
CP Fusebox has just been sold to a lighting company. They had 8 employees and sold via agents. They’re an importer of mass produced Chinese manufactured consumer units. Excellent marketing by them though tbf.

If they were called CP Electrical consumer units, nobody would touch them.

Scolmore are definitely not a manufacturer, their annual accounts explain what are. An importer and supplier of electrical equipment. If they were a British designer and manufacturer, why would they manufacture an RCBO that doesn’t help them comply with latest regulations?

This is what Scolmore claims to be:

"Today, the company operates from its purpose-built 150,000sq ft. Head Office and Distribution Centre – still in Tamworth - where it designs, develops and manufactures an ever-expanding product range for distribution throughout the UK and worldwide."

CP Fusebox has just been sold to a lighting company. They had 8 employees and sold via agents. They’re an importer of mass produced Chinese manufactured consumer units. Excellent marketing by them though tbf.

If they were called CP Electrical consumer units, nobody would touch them.

Scolmore are definitely not a manufacturer, their annual accounts explain what are. An importer and supplier of electrical equipment. If they were a British designer and manufacturer, why would they manufacture an RCBO that doesn’t help them comply with latest regulations?

So you are saying that Scolmore do not manufacture in the UK?

You think that a company just accepts whatever happens to be sent in a container, sticks their name on it and hopes for the best.

Whether or not they manufacture or design, the suggestion that they have no say in specifying the products offered for sale by their company is, quite frankly, laughable.

You think that a company just accepts whatever happens to be sent in a container, sticks their name on it and hopes for the best.

Whether or not they manufacture or design, the suggestion that they have no say in specifying the products offered for sale by their company is, quite frankly, laughable.
I had a Fusebox RCBO that had a switching latch fault. I rang the wholesaler I bought it from and they contacted Fusebox technical.

The reply, we’ll give you a credit, chuck it in the bin.

Reminds me that a couple of years back I received a two Crabtree mini RCBOs that wouldn't thread on one of the outgoing terminals (always seem to be backed right off thread). I had to return them to the wholesaler for credit, but that was to be expected. I still reckon Starbreaker is the Rolls Royce of domestic DBs, but would it be great if Electrium/Siemens also handed out credit notes without customers having to drive back to the wholesaler.

The Zappi actually requires no RCD upstream (as it has internal Type A + 30mA DC). So - if your supply cable is compliant (SWA/protected/not concealed) you could just use an MCB (32A for a Zappi, but you DO need a 2-pole isolator switch in-circuit).

The Zappi actually requires no RCD upstream (as it has internal Type A + 30mA DC). So - if your supply cable is compliant (SWA/protected/not concealed) you could just use an MCB (32A for a Zappi, but you DO need a 2-pole isolator switch in-circuit).
Actually this is not the case, as can be read in this excerpt from the MyEnergi website:

"It is important to note that the standards for EV charge point installation usually require an RCD which meets a specific standard – IEC 61008 for an RCD or IEC 61009 for an RCBO. The RCD in zappi does not fully meet these requirements which means that a separate RCD or RCBO to these specific standards needs to be installed."

Reply to EV chargers and double pole RCD's. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net