Discuss EV charging point course? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You can but the EV charging points use a DC sensitive RCD to protect against the DC faults associated with the charging.

But you don’t learn much on these courses!

Don’t fully understand, do you mean inside the charging unit there would be an additional dc rcd ?

Was looking into doing the course myself next month with niceic £180 day course.

Don’t fully understand, do you mean inside the charging unit there would be an additional dc rcd ?

Was looking into doing the course myself next month with niceic £180 day course.

The Rolec units have a DC sensitive RCD inside.

Just to allay some other posts, you will not get Rolec Approved unless you do a course like this. You will also not get EVHS or WCS Approved either which means you cannot offer your customer the grant.

There are requirements for the grant, one is that the customer either has or has signed a purchase agreemtn to get, a car that is one of the approved vehicles. In this case the customer will not get the grant. This need to be evidenced in the paperwork that goes to the government in order to claim the grant.

You don’t need to notify the DNO, you need to ask them if you can install it. And this is only for charge point of 32a or above. This is so that they can keep an eye on the loads for the local network. A 16a unit does not require the DNO to asked if it can be installed.

There is more to it than just sticking a spike in. Paperwork is horrendous.
I install ev chargers for both domestic and commercial customers in my area.Have OLEV approval for evbox and rolec. Thankfully OLEV are now moving to the digital world, the old OLEV forms were a pain in the proverbial. I expect the grants will reduce at the back end of next year unless the government replenish the fund or extend the current funding scheme.

I install ev chargers for both domestic and commercial customers in my area.Have OLEV approval for evbox and rolec. Thankfully OLEV are now moving to the digital world, the old OLEV forms were a pain in the proverbial. I expect the grants will reduce at the back end of next year unless the government replenish the fund or extend the current funding scheme.

I’d agree with you. It’ll go the same way as PV.

It’s an additional load to the oven on the network supply and more often that not the EV will be used when most people come home from work (which will be from 5pm onwards) and around which time everyone has an oven on!
If everyone had an EV car the Distribution Network would collapse. We don't have the infrastructure in place for everyone to drive an EV.

If everyone had an EV car the Distribution Network would collapse. We don't have the infrastructure in place for everyone to drive an EV.

And this is exactly why you cannot just install the 32a units without consultation. The network will fail if this takes off with any gusto! This make a mockery of the whole situation. The inference is that if the DNO feels that the network will be compromised, then they will refuse the installation of the EV pod. And yet the government (or EU) is pushing these vehicles!

Amazing!

Reply to EV charging point course? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock