Discuss Extending heater cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rs6mra

I have a wall panel heater with a 13amp plug and I want to extend the cable without having to take the heater apart.
Is it safe to extend this with the exact same cable and if so can this be done with a connector strip in a choc box or using a 20A round junction box?

I have a wall panel heater with a 13amp plug and I want to extend the cable without having to take the heater apart.
Is it safe to extend this with the exact same cable and if so can this be done with a connector strip in a choc box or using a 20A round junction box?

no, is not safe, those kind of boxes wont provide cable retention for a flex cable.
you can use something like that,
CABLE FLEX IN LINE CONNECTOR TERMINAL JUNCTION BOX 3 CORE 13AMP - WE SELL CABLE | eBay

how long you want to extend it? couple of meters is fine, but if theres more then you may overload the 13A plug.

Agree with above - ensure you use a junction box with cable grip facility. Don't forget to ensure the cable you select is suitable for the job (both in type and in current rating). As always, consult an electrician if you aren't sure. Daz

if you must join, use lever wagos inside a line products egg with flex glands each end.

The only reason I want to join the cables is because I have the same cable from the manufacturer at just the right length. Seems like my best option would be to replace the entire cable. The Wago looks interesting; if i went with this which product is the most suitable?

Thank you all for your input.
Just for the record the cable was initially 2m and this was cut to 1m and i wanted to get it back to 2m. I have relocated the heater without having the need to replace or extend the cable.

Reply to Extending heater cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net