• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss External light testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikenaylor

Regular EF Member
Hi there.
just to confirm my thoughts.

on fitting an external floodlight 400W into to the lighting circuit of a bungalow, what tests do you guys do?
R1+R2 on all light fittings and sockets for proof of earth and values?
Insulation on that whole circuit, if I can remove all bulbs, or lives/earth if not?
ZS on that whole circuit If I have found the furthest point?

Many thanks for your replies
Spikenaylor

Professional Grade LED Lighting Strips

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
you only need to test the circuit you work on. IR, R1+R2, Zs, ensure earthing and bonding in place and adequate. MWC.

Q

QSGAZ

If you have sensor on the flood light dont carry out an IR test you might blow the circuit inside it, but you R1+R2 and Zs should be ok.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
good point. if in doubt, short L/N and IR to E.

P

Plonker 3

good point. if in doubt, short L/N and IR to E.
Always do it that way myself on a existing installation as you can never be 100% that you have disconnected everything that may be damaged be the test.

tony mc

Electrician's Arms
Quick test on the cct before you start just in case there is a fault and it might save you some head scratching IMO !!

G

GT1

Of course I assume there are NO external cables or terminations.
Otherwise the work is notifiable.

G

GT1

The cable comes through the wall straight into the back of the light. So the light has to be of a type where it can accommodate the cable and terminations inside its own housing, without either being visible.

Therefore no "external" cable or terminations. Thus, NOT notifiable.

ian.settle1

Forum Mentor
The cable comes through the wall straight into the back of the light. So the light has to be of a type where it can accommodate the cable and terminations inside its own housing, without either being visible.

As it is a floodlight I think you will find there are external cables.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
If the light is attached to the house and ALL the connections to the light are inside the housing, IMHO its not notifiable

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member

external cable is not notifiable as long as it's fixed to the fabric of the building and doesn't have any terminations apart from the light it is supplying.ot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance