Discuss extra 3 phase distribution board in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

go diego go

hello all first post here looking for some help, i have a farm workshop with 3 phase supply and 100 amp incomer in distribution board, i have now built a new workshop 70mtrs away and want to take the power across to it. i am thinking 25mm 4 core swa cable will be suitable underground (welders, plasma cutter, compressor etc not a huge requirement) what would be the recommended way to join into the existing supply, -separate fused switch between meter and existing board or join it into a breaker in the board (cable looks a bit big for this option) i will be doing most of the installation myself fitting boxes laying cables etc but will get a spark to commission the job on completion other question what is the best type of lighting to install building is 17m by 12 m and 6 m high with 4 large rooflights

yea thought i would get that reply,,,,,, but with a defeatist attitude we will never learn,!!!! i am not about to blow myself up i will merely lay the cables boxes etc and mirror what has been done in existing workshop (rewired by sparky friend 7-8 yrs ago now sadly residing in oz) regards gdg

Varas 4x55W HF Light Fittings
thanks for your reply i quite fancy these fittings as i think they are a nicer light than metal halide not so many shadows ??? but a supplier said halide are cheaper to run although i am not so sure, another supplier did a lighting plan for me and recommended 48 double flourescent fittings with reflectors to give 500 lux. for my application 500 lux is probably overkill though regards gdg

Are you competent to test this job when you’ve copied someone else’s work without the required knowledge of the design aspects?

i think you guys are getting a bit over excited about this post :sad3: only one person has posted a helpful reply about the lights. i am not claiming to be a fully certified qualified electrician with a lifetime of experience in electrics, but i do have a lifetime of experience repairing diesel engines, gearboxes, hydraulic systems, have also spent time at sea as an marine engineer with more generators and electric motors than i care to think about along with all the miles of control cableing to go along with it (when you are in charge of the engine room at sea it ain,t too easy to phone someone to come in and do it for you ) etc as an aside most of the machines i have worked on i can also operate. so with the little experience i have along with a dose of common sense i am reasonably comfortable doing my own workshop electrics, if i wasn,t comfortable with it i would get someone in for sure. its not that i don,t want to pay someone to do it its because i want to do it myself. anyway hope that puts people in the picture and if anyone has some helpful posts they will be much appreciated by me regards gdg

No where in there does it say you understand the design standards/regs that you have to comply to for your installation to be considered correct. Yes you might be able to make your project work but it doesn't mean it's guna comply

I suggest you find an electrician, who will give you guidance on what to do and who will allow you to carry out certain amouyt of the work and still sign it off for you upon completion? So really act as a consultant to you.
Induction High bays are great with great light and energy efficient too
Regards Darren

yes darren that may be an option as well thanks, how many induction high bay fittings would you recommend and what watts buildings 17m x 12m and 6m high

hello all first post here looking for some help, i have a farm workshop with 3 phase supply and 100 amp incomer in distribution board, i have now built a new workshop 70mtrs away and want to take the power across to it. i am thinking 25mm 4 core swa cable will be suitable underground (welders, plasma cutter, compressor etc not a huge requirement) what would be the recommended way to join into the existing supply, -separate fused switch between meter and existing board or join it into a breaker in the board (cable looks a bit big for this option) i will be doing most of the installation myself fitting boxes laying cables etc but will get a spark to commission the job on completion other question what is the best type of lighting to install building is 17m by 12 m and 6 m high with 4 large rooflights

And how do you make this out then?

there is certain prep work you can do yourself to cut the costs of the job but this needs to be with agreement with the spark who will finish off the work.
as for working out the necessary cable size , a non-electrician is not going to grasp it with all the will in the world which is why no-one wants to give you a straight answer.

plasma torches and welders are heavy loads and it will take some rather slick maths to plan out a viable design , so no offence if you dont get the answer on here.

i think you guys are getting a bit over excited about this post :sad3: only one person has posted a helpful reply about the lights. i am not claiming to be a fully certified qualified electrician with a lifetime of experience in electrics, but i do have a lifetime of experience repairing diesel engines, gearboxes, hydraulic systems, have also spent time at sea as an marine engineer with more generators and electric motors than i care to think about along with all the miles of control cableing to go along with it (when you are in charge of the engine room at sea it ain,t too easy to phone someone to come in and do it for you ) etc as an aside most of the machines i have worked on i can also operate. so with the little experience i have along with a dose of common sense i am reasonably comfortable doing my own workshop electrics, if i wasn,t comfortable with it i would get someone in for sure. its not that i don,t want to pay someone to do it its because i want to do it myself. anyway hope that puts people in the picture and if anyone has some helpful posts they will be much appreciated by me regards gdg

We get quite a few queries like this, from those that think electrical installations is a simple bish bosh and it's in!!
If it were so easy, why do you, and people like you, have to come to a Forum and ask the basic questions in the first place?? There are rules and regulations governing all aspects of electrical installations, that in the most part, need to be complied with. For anyone here to answer your questions adequately, they would also need to identify those regulations to a novice such as yourself. Thinking a ships installations and it's equipment bears any resemblance to a utility supplied farm installation, is straight of, pretty naive of you!!

Find a good electrician that you trust, to design your new extension requirements. From there you can negotiate between you, as to what work you can safely carry out to keep your costs down, (ie, excavating cable trench and back-filling etc) though you will still need guidance in ANY work you carry out on this type of installation.

good morning appreciate your reply the design requirements i am happy with (maybe other members are not?) as it is the same as old workshop which had been rewired by a qualified electrician ( installed 2003) in fact cable runs will be shorter due to shape of new build also all the same machinery to be used so cable loads will in fact be lower if anything. The lighting side i have not designed yet as i have not decided on type of lighting to use yet which incidentally the original post was about along with best way to join in new supply also no suggestion there either as regards the laying of the swa cable underground that will be the easy bit. in our business we have done a lot of cable laying for domestic supplies up to multiple wind turbine installations so am also quite confident in correct procedure there (in fact if more electricians would adhere to the regulations concerning cable burial and the correct use of warning tape eg the tape goes above the cable not in the same level or often below it would make our job a bit safer when digging trenches for drains etc )

Reply to extra 3 phase distribution board in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net