Discuss F.I.T. AND SMART-METERS in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i currently have a 3.6kwh pv FIT system, fitted about 8yrs ago, in the UK, my fit payments are paid by EDF and my usage is charged from shell energy, and my meter is the original/old style type, the question is : if i have a smart meter installed, how will this impact my FIT payments and energy payments?

Last edited:
As far as I know, and according to British Gas, my supplier, I cannot get a smart meter because I have Solar panels on my roof.

Has your supplier said it can fit one?

The smet2 is compatible with all pv equipment, and the technology can measure what you export exactly and you are paid on that ( which I just read on Google)

The smet2 is compatible with all pv equipment, and the technology can measure what you export exactly and you are paid on that ( which I just read on Google)
Ahh, I haven’t actually queried it for a while now, so maybe they can.

I haven’t looked at it again after reading a number of negative comments about smart meters on this very forum.

Ahh, I haven’t actually queried it for a while now, so maybe they can.

I haven’t looked at it again after reading a number of negative comments about smart meters on this very forum.
Yup IMO don't get one fitted, you lose the assumed 50% export? Apparently

Last edited:
i think i will wait, they keep sending me the emails saying that my meter is out of date and needs changing, but i think it may be just another angle at getting these meters out there, let's see if they come up with some way of forcing the issue if they receive no replies from me.

Yup IMO don't get one fitted, you lose the assumed 50% export? Apparently
Which is good if your actual export is more than 50% ??.

And, my supplier is Shell, they've emailed a gazillion times saying my 2 rate meter will loose functionality at midnight sometime next year, was this year.
Well, Shell are just selling off their domestic customer business, we'll see what the next lot say and do.

I've had a smart meter for years and still get my 50% FIT from Scottish Power and my dual fuel from OVO..

There is a setting on the meter to get an export reading but I don't use it.

Reply to F.I.T. AND SMART-METERS in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net